Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The girls need to live with me and there is nothing i can do about it. ETA

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 97 Replies
As some of you know last May my best friend (she was more like a sister than a friend) committed suicide. She has two girls K&A (almost 16 and 14) who I love like they are my own kids, I would do ANYTHING for them, the same as my own kids.

about a month before my friend died her and her dh separated and he took a job and moved 4+ hours away.

When there mother died they went to live with some woman there father knew that the girls didn't even know. Neither were happy about it but didn't think they had an option. They didn't know we told him they could live with us (we didn't know if they would want to since we live right next door to there old house where there mom died) he told us we would see how This situation worked for a while.

Well it didn't the girls were basically on there own. A went to live with her dad and K went to stay with a friend. We again told there dad the girls could live with us. He again said we will see how this works out.

Ok so fast forward to last month K moved in with her dad and sister. I talk to the girls every day and they just don't seem happy. This weekend they came down and stayed with us and today when he came to get Them neither one wanted to go home, they wanted to stay with us.

Apparently there dad is always gone, out with friends and to the bar. They are having to fend for themselves and they are both missing there childhood. It absolutely broke my heart to see these beautiful vibrant girls so broken and sad. They have been through so much, they deserve to be happy and there just not.

I want the girls to live here with us and we found out this weekend that's what they want too and there is not a damn thing we can do about it.

I know my friend wouldn't want her girls living like this. Her girls were her everything. I wish we could just go get the girls and bring them home With us.

It's the worst feeling To know what these girls need and our hands are tied. I have been a mess since they left.

ETA: I made some phone calls yesterday and found out a lot of info I didn't know. Dh and I don't want to take custody from there dad we just want them to be in a home where they are important and not a burden.

We are going to see if he will let the girls stay the summer and then see if he will just let them stay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Stay out of it.
Trixi.VonLace
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
6 moms liked this
That's easy for you to say.

Quoting Anonymous:

Stay out of it.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Maybe if they talk to their dad? Have them ( if its true) tell him the rather be in their hometown and not 4hrs away? Offer for them to come on the weekend to "give him a break".
godsgirl26
Finally home with my family and im loving it. Until i have to get ready to go back to my mom's to take care of her im ENJOYING myself ♥
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Stay out of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM
5 moms liked this

The reason their dad wants them is for the survivors benifits.

You can petition the courts for guardianship.

MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM
That's terrible. If I were in your situation, I'd be trying to butter up their father so he wouldn't mind having them stay with me until they were of age.
DEJavu17
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Petition the court for special relief. Is there any one in your friends family who would be willing to help you?
godsgirl26
Finally home with my family and im loving it. Until i have to get ready to go back to my mom's to take care of her im ENJOYING myself ♥
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
I said the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Stay out of it.
Trixi.VonLace
were gonna offer to let the girls stay with us over the summer and then bring up them just staying.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Maybe if they talk to their dad? Have them ( if its true) tell him the rather be in their hometown and not 4hrs away? Offer for them to come on the weekend to "give him a break".
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Since they are underage, and you've known them forever, can't you get CPS involved and petition to be guardian for the girls?  Perhaps if the three of you talk to her father together?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)