Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My SIL smoked in the car with my child.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

my kids slept at my MIL's house last night.  my sil took my older child (6) to the supermarket this morning.  when DH went there to pick them up, he was outside when sil pulled up, she had a cigarette with her front windows open but the back windows shut.  my DH was like "why are you smoking with dc in the car?" and went over quickly to grab our child.  she said "I wasn't smoking after throwing her cigarette on the ground" - she had no kids, but I mean, you don't know it is wrong to smoke with a child in the car and their windows rolled up (even with the windows all down, it is dumb to do)

moron!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM
My dad did this recently and it pissed me off to no end. That shit is the reason why I had chronic sore throats and bronchitis growing up. It was awful, and my kids will not be around that shit. I justlet him know that my kids will never be allowed in the car with him again. Some of my children's classmates smell like smoke and it makes me so sad for them because I know what they live with. Those parents should have their asses kicked.
LuvsHopesDreams
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM
How dumb is she. I just quit three days ago because I'm pregnant, but we never smoke in the house or in the car when my son or any other child is with us. This isn't 1980 anymore!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SafariSun
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I remember one time when I was a kid me and my cousin were like 8/9 and we were in the car with my aunt and her husband. It was raining really hard and he was smoking a cig with the windows UP! I thought I was gonna suffocate I couldn't breath. We told her and she made him throw it out but I still remember that!
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM

My children would never be in her car again. 

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Where I'm from she would've gotten a huge fine if the police caught her.
If they can't wait to smoke until my child is out then my child isn't going with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvsHopesDreams
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
The "same damage"? That's technically not true, because the child is not inhaling smoke particles into his/her lungs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unless you change every time you smoke you cause the same damage to your child!

Quoting Anonymous:

I mean both DH and I smoke, but never around our kids and ceraintly never in the car with them.  she really is an idiot.  my DH told that "she is never driving our child around" and my child starting crying.  oh man!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM
My parents smoked in the car with us, with all the windows rolled up in the winter and we are fine calm the fuck down.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

There is a growing body of evidence that this lingering tobacco residue has significant health risks. People, especially children and hospitality industry workers, can have considerable exposure to it. As confirmed by the 2006 Surgeon General's Report, there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke. And tobacco smoke toxins remain harmful even when breathed or ingested after the active smoking ends.

A study published in February 2010 found that thirdhand smoke causes the formation of carcinogens. The nicotine in tobacco smoke reacts with nitrous acid - a common component of indoor air - to form the hazardous carcinogens. Nicotine remains on surfaces for days and weeks, so the carcinogens continue to be created over time, which are then inhaled, absorbed or ingested.

Children of smokers are especially at risk of thirdhand smoke exposure and contamination because tobacco residue is noticeably present in dust throughout places where smoking has occurred. The homes, hair, clothes, and cars of smokers can have significant levels of thirdhand smoke contamination. Young children are particularly vulnerable, because they can ingest tobacco residue by putting their hands in their mouths after touching contaminated surfaces.

Awareness about thirdhand smoke is increasing, and it gained a great deal of attention in January 2009 when the journal Pediatrics published a study assessing people's beliefs about the health effects of thirdhand smoke and children's level of exposure to it. However, the report found there is much less awareness about thirdhand smoke exposure and its harm to children than there is awareness about the dangers of secondhand smoke.

Quoting Anonymous:

The same damage?  that is simply not true.  yes, smoking is a disgusting, filty habit and I am trying to quit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Unless you change every time you smoke you cause the same damage to your child!

Quoting Anonymous:

I mean both DH and I smoke, but never around our kids and ceraintly never in the car with them.  she really is an idiot.  my DH told that "she is never driving our child around" and my child starting crying.  oh man!!!

armandswife
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I'm a smoker and I would be pissed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

well aren't you charming

Quoting Anonymous:

My parents smoked in the car with us, with all the windows rolled up in the winter and we are fine calm the fuck down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)