Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any runner mommas out there? :)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am a beginner when it comes to running. On Wednesday I ran 0.59 Miles in 6 minutes, and I honestly felt like I was going to puke after. Then today (Sunday) I ran 1 mile in 11 Minutes, and I did the "talk test" during my run.. (I could talk in sentences without being too out of breath) 

So, my question is, are those ok times for my first 2 times running? 
What should I be aiming for? (Shorter time, or longer distance, or both?) 
What can I do to improve my running? 
**I am trying to get my posture in check, and drinking lots of water!** 
How long after a run should I go? 
What time of the day should I go? (Morning, afternoon, or night?) 
If I eat first how long should I wait before going so I don't get a cramp? 
And, how can I best pace myself?? 

Thanks!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Replies (11-19):
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM
C25k got me started as well 2 years ago.

Now I just try to maintain and I try to run 3 miles 3 times a week... But lately, some weeks it has only been twice. :(.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I would work on distance first. The best way to build stamina though is to do short faster pace sprints throughout your run. After a warm up start out with a moderate comfortable pace. After about five or six minutes, increase your speed and intensity for about three minutes, then go back to the moderate pace. Repeat every 5 minutes or so. They say it is best to run in the morning or early evening, not too close to bed time. Wait at least forty five minutes after you eat and make sure you have some protein in the meal. I would start at a speed of about 5 miles an hour. Your time is pretty fast. I usualy run about 3. 5 miles in thirty minutes. The best thing is to just keep doing it and slowly increase intensity. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I am a long distance runner myself and love it!

The most important thing when running is to listen to your body, buy good gear and shoes, and SLOWLY work up milage and time. You should alternate your runs between speed and distance. Some days you may want to focus on speed (shorter milage, faster pace) or distance (slower pace, much slower pace). Try not to compare yourself to others and only compare yourself to you. Get a good phone app that tracks your milage and time so you can se your improvements happen.

Also be aware that this takes time, lots of time to shave off minutes per mile and build distance. Going slow and steady in both of these areas will also help prevent injury in the long run too.

I highly recommend reading some runner books. I really enjoyed the book "marathon" by Hal Higdons for running tips and to train with too. Start learning all you can about safe running so you don't get hurt or into trouble.

To answer some of your questions:

Run at whatever time of the day is best for you. It needs to be fun and convient for you to stick with it. I always like running in the early AM personally. But there is no right or wrong answer here. Try to avoid the hotest times of the day and running in bright sun light (if possible) to avoid burns and over dehydration

I eat a small snack right before a run (about 30-60 min) that will give me fuel to burn. Also when your distance gets higher (for me that was over 5-6 miles) you need to learn to eat while you run. Using running gels like GU and such. Also you need to run with water if you run over 3 miles at a time IMO, or if it is really hot outside or really sunny.

To best pace yourself use a running app that shouts out your times to you as you run. I like Endomondo for this feature. Also again, only compare you to you, not anyone else! Time and distance will come with time!

If I am not training for a run I will run 3 times a week. If I am training for a run I might run every other day but ALWAYS listen to your body and take breaks and days off if you need to.

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Thanks so much! Awesome answer. What are running gels? Oh and what do you suggest for a good warm up before a run?

Quoting Anonymous:

The most important thing when running is to listen to your body, buy good gear and shoes, and SLOWLY work up milage and time. You should alternate your runs between speed and distance. Some days you may want to focus on speed (shorter milage, faster pace) or distance (slower pace, much slower pace). Try not to compare yourself to others and only compare yourself to you. Get a good phone app that tracks your milage and time so you can se your improvements happen.

Also be aware that this takes time, lots of time to shave off minutes per mile and build distance. Going slow and steady in both of these areas will also help prevent injury in the long run too.

I highly recommend reading some runner books. I really enjoyed the book "marathon" by Hal Higdons for running tips and to train with too. Start learning all you can about safe running so you don't get hurt or into trouble.

Run at whatever time of the day is best for you. It needs to be fun and convient for you to stick with it. I always like running in the early AM personally. But there is no right or wrong answer here. Try to avoid the hotest times of the day and running in bright sun light (if possible) to avoid burns and over dehydration

I eat a small snack right before a run (about 30-60 min) that will give me fuel to burn. Also when your distance gets higher (for me that was over 5-6 miles) you need to learn to eat while you run. Using running gels like GU and such. Also you need to run with water if you run over 3 miles at a time IMO, or if it is really hot outside or really sunny.

To best pace yourself use a running app that shouts out your times to you as you run. I like Endomondo for this feature. Also again, only compare you to you, not anyone else! Time and distance will come with time!

If I am not training for a run I will run 3 times a week. If I am training for a run I might run every other day but ALWAYS listen to your body and take breaks and days off if you need to.

Good luck!

Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I started running two years ago with c25k and have run tons of races now, including a half marathon. The best advice I can give is to gradually build up your distance and don't worry about time unless you're actually running in a race, and even then don't stress about time. Oh, and get great shoes/inserts that are customized to your feet. The worst thing that can happen is an injury due to bad shoes.

abbie.alder
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Like the pp, do the couch to 5k! It works wonders. I'm actually going running right now :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Ok I will check it out! Have fun on your run :)

Quoting abbie.alder:

Like the pp, do the couch to 5k! It works wonders. I'm actually going running right now :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Running gels you can get at any running store or sports store. They are essentially little energy packets to "eat" while you move. When you run for a long period/distance you need to give your body some calories to burn. The brand I like is called GU.

There are some nice running water bottles that you can get that you wear as a belt that come with little pockets and things to store your gels in or smart phone etc. I run with a bottle on my lower back (on a belt) with a few gels in the pocket and my smart phone with ear buds in. I run to music and have my app going that shouts out times to me too.

I don't really warm up before I run. I may stretch a little but not always. It works for me. What I ALWAYS do though is a cool down. I usually will walk another 1/5-1 mile after my run to allow my heart rate to come down and let my muscles cool off. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks so much! Awesome answer. What are running gels? Oh and what do you suggest for a good warm up before a run?

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck!

LoveyDucky
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
*down loads c5k app*

Thanks! Lol

*RUNS away*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)