Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I raise my daughters to be little mommies.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm raising my daughters to be good home makers, good moms, and good wives.

I'm raising the boys to be good providers, good dads, and good husbands.

That's how I think it should be and it saddens me everytime I read or hear otherwise. My most important goal in life is to be a good wife and mom. I think there would be better people and less divorces in the world if everyone did as my family does.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Replies (831-840):
giabean27
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

This! My ultimate dream in life is to be a sahm, but it also happens that I was the sole provider when I was married to my ex, and he was a sahd. And I make more money than my current husband, so I'm still working. I would give up 15 years of making myself a successful business woman in a heartbeat if it was financially feasible, but it isn't. So, I'm a working mom, and it is what it is. My sons will know how to cook and clean, and my daughters will know how to mow the lawn and change the oil. ALL of my kids are being raised to be hard workers.

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

Ditto!
You never know what path a child will choose so best prepare them as best you can for any outcome.
a woman whose dream is being a sahm/wife may find herself a sole provider and a career driven man may end up a sahd.

Quoting kzuehlk:

I raise my boys to be hard workers, but you better believe they will know how to cook and clean and keep up on a house. If I had girls, they would know how to work hard and be self sufficient

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I raise them that they will take on those roles too, but I also will do a balance.
DD know typical "male" tasks, DS typical "female" tasks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denci
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Good for you!

Quoting Anonymous:

I make almost 3 time what my husband does.  My paycheck covers the house and car notes, insurance and most bills.  You shouldn't assume that because I;m a women I make less then him. I hold a PhD. He never went to college.  SO go ahead and tell me again how much I need his paycheck....I dare you.  

Quoting Mama2ETA:

exactly! A partnership is relying on each other, and yes, not just financially. You are telling me that you do not rely on your dh's check to support the household and lifestyle you now hold? If he lost his job, you wouldn't struggle even with your check to hold up the lifestyle? I doubt it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Marriage is a PARTNERSHIP, not me relying on DH for everything nor he relying on me for everything!! He knows what I bring to the marriage and I know what he brings to the marriage (I don't just mean in terms of money, but in everything!)

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting Anonymous:

I want my children to be INDEPENDENT...to not have to  have  rely on anyone else.   

what is a marriage, if not to rely on your partner?

shima
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM
You're doing a real disservice to your boys and girls and anyone they might marry. My EX, yes EX husband was raised that way. Mainly to think of himself and to let the females do everything. This is why I was working two full time jobs to make ends meet along with cleaning the house and doing the laundry on the weekends. Sadly he thought that he was too good to do any of that. That's what you are doing to your boys and teaching your girls that that's ok. I feel sad for your children and how they're going to end up in the future.
mamabearjkda
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I teach my kids all aspects of life. I will teach my boys how to work on cars, just as when my daughter drives I am teaching her how to make sure she knows how to change a tire, put gas in her car, change the oil and do minor repairs. I will teach my boys the same as I teach my daughter and they will all know how to cook and clean and do their own laundry.

I don't think a woman's job should simply be to serve man, do the cooking and the cleaning. There is more of a life out there beyond the kitchen. I am not saying that you are wrong for your choice, that is your choice to make and if it makes you happy so be it, I am not in a position to judge you or anyone else. For me, I am quite content being able to work on cars, fix the computers, do home repairs and cook and clean and raise the children. That is my choice. I did it for so long as a single mom that's how it is and I don't regret any of it.

pumpkin77
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

What if your daughters never find someone they want to marry?  They better be prepared for life with other skills, and passions to that they know how to be happy in what ever situation they end up in.  It sounds to me as if you prepare your boys in life in a broader sense (family and business skills).  Equality would be refreshing.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Oh, okay, then I politely disagree.

I think for one that you may have a bit of a double standard here about basing the definition of women on biology meanwhile refuting any characterization made about women based on same... but probably not worth getting into as we'd be mincing words.

The point I'd more like to make is that while I agree with you somewhat about not being pigeon-holed because of our anatomical body parts, I think there are certain aspirations that may be intrinsic to our biological gender. I think we have certain pre-dispositions. Of course, everyone is an individual and there is a spectrum, if you will; however, I would not discount biology having a definite role.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I suppose that depends on how you define "woman." In my context, I mean it to be biologically female. I am sure there are situations in which you would want to define "woman" as something different; perhaps a personal identity rather than anatomical configuration. Nonetheless, in this context, "woman" is just a term used to relay a message: that body parts (in this instance, genitalia) should not dictate our desires, goals, and ambitions as individuals. Body parts also do not dictate our ability to achieve a certain level of intelligence, financial success, etc. To suggest that they do demonstrates a deep misunderstanding of what it means to be human.

Quoting buttersworth:

hmm..well, do all women have vaginas? lol. if you aren't defining anyone by body parts then you've forgotten about those biological men who feel like women trapped in the wrong body.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

lol. Well, all women have vaginas. Not to dismiss vaginas, they are incredible things (mine especially!) ;) just like penises are - but it is a body part. Body parts should not dictate who we are as individuals - our wants, desires, goals, ambitions, etc.

Quoting buttersworth:

Maybe I read you wrong, but the way you wrote "simply because I have a vagina" makes it sound like your vagina is some kind of after thought. Again, I could be mistranslating.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Who said I thought little of my vagina?

Quoting buttersworth:

Wow it's sad you think so little of your vagina.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I'm sorry my ambitions and independence make you sad simply because I have a vagina.

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

and what happens if one of your dd's never marries? how is she going to get on in the world not knowing how to get a job, find a good apartment, buy a resposible car?

TheDoctorsWife
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I'm trying to raise my son to be a gentleman
Anonymous
by Anonymous 150 on May. 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I don't agree with this type of thinking. It is outdated and sexist. Women can be just as hardworking and self sufficent as men! NO woman should be told that is all they can be. This kind of thinking makes me so mad. Especially from women!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)