Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We bought our 6 year old a computer

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it to much for a kid so young? Should we not have bought him his own laptop?

Options:

I would have bought it for him

I would NOT have got it for him

Boop

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

Ok, so DH and I are gamers.  Wow, xbox, ps3, wiiU, ect...  DH and ds play more on the consoles, and I am more of a computer gamer.

Anyways, he and I both need new computers pretty soon.  But it will be close to 3k for us to both be able to get what we need.  Meanwhile, DS was playing on a very decrepit old laptop of mine.  DS doesn't get a whole lot of gaming time, but one of the things we like to do as a family is play minecraft together.  His computer was set on the lowest settings, and still barely played the game.  

Now to my point, when DH and I were discussing buying new computers now, DS knew that he would be getting one of our old ones (which are like 10 times better than what he has) and he was super excited.  But, after talking about it, DH and I decided to hold off on the big expenditure, since we're planning on buying a house soon.  That meant that DS was stuck with the old computer for awhile longer. 

Honestly, I love this kid.  He went with it.  He was disappointed, but he didn't say anything.  He accepted it, and still continued to get on an play with us, without even whining.  But, while I was looking into computer prices and deals, I found this app for Best Buy.  One of the things it has on there is your local stores clearance, and open box sales.  I happened to find a HP cheap laptop, usually 300$ for 250$ since it was open box.  It really wasn't anything super special, but its much better than the one he had. So after talking to DH, we decided to go ahead and buy our 6 year old his own brand new computer.

And then, I mentioned to my mother.  I'm sure you can guess what she said.  "why does a child that age need his own computer?".  Well, I guess he doesn't, but he wanted it, and we wanted him to be able to have it.  He didn't get it because he asked for it, or begged for it.  Really, what made me truly want to buy it was the fact that he is such a great kid.  I'm not saying he doesn't beg, whine, and throw a fit sometimes, but he has always been accepting when it comes to things we can't afford/refuse to buy him.  

This year was his kindergarten year.  When he first started, he barely knew his ABC's because we had just found out over the summer that his eyes were bad.  He has astigmatism in both eyes, and 3 weeks ago he was enrolled in vision therapy, which is a weekly thing.  His eyes are poor, and it's the reason he has a little extra trouble learning.  That, and he had to have bilateral heel cord surgery last Oct. He missed a lot of school, spent 6 weeks of walking casts, followed by physical therapy for 4 months to help rebuild muscle, and help him to learn to walk flat on his feet. (he was a toe walker, and could not touch his heels to the floor because the muscles were so tight)

All that being said, he has recently caught up to the rest of the class, or is pretty close.  School is almost out, and while he isn't 100% where they want him, he knows 43 of the 50 words he has to know, plus some, can do basic math, can read level 4 books, and quite a bit of the other stuff (there is a LOT of stuff).  I am so proud of this kid.  I felt it was a good idea to do it. I felt he deserved this treat.  And yet, I still feel guilty after listening to my mother.  /sigh

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barneysaid
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Bump..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmypaige
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:34 AM
I would. We bought each of our sons their own computer when I think they were 7, or 8.... Worked out well for one, but not for the other. I don't worry about my inlaws, or parent's opinions on those types of things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM
We don't even have an iPad or tablet. My kids play outside a LOT.
mommy404204
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

your son sounds like he has been through alot and also like he would get use out of the computer. so sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Quoting emmypaige:

I would. We bought each of our sons their own computer when I think they were 7, or 8.... Worked out well for one, but not for the other. I don't worry about my inlaws, or parent's opinions on those types of things.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I don't see the issue. Technology is the future and our kids are the future. They need to know how to work it. Does that mean spend all god damn day on it? No. But learn their way around one. Our kids will probably have their own (or a shared one for just them) in the next couple of years. They are 4, 2, and 5 months.
TCup18
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM
My son got his own computer for his birthday in February. He turned 7. For Christmas he got a tablet from Santa. He's very techy. Lol.
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
My kids each have their own tablet. They play outside a lot too. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

We don't even have an iPad or tablet. My kids play outside a LOT.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Now I want to buy your kid a computer...

Tell your mother that while maybe SHE wouldn't consider it, you purchased the computer as an investment in his learning development. Games will help his visual acuity. And it really is none of her business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Your mother raised her kids during a different era. Don't let what she said bother you. Your son is or will be using computers in school and this will help him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured