Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do all high schools act like this?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 153 Replies
1 mom liked this

this past friday, my son was punched at school.  apparently, during a PE basketball game, things got a little heated and a kid got really pissed at my son.  later, in the locker room, he approached jace and said something to the effect of, "WTF, man?  why you gotta hit me in my face during the game?", then, punched jace in the shoulder.  before jace could react, another kid jumped over him and punched the instigator in the face.  it ended up in a full out brawl and thankfully, jace had the sense to back up & he wasn't involved at all.  all the other kids were suspended for 4 day - jace got no punishment whatsoever.  here's the part that is driving me crazy.  the school's SRO called me twice on friday to find out if i wanted to press assault charges or let the school handle the punishment.  both times, i told him i would let the school handle the punishment.  i have no interest in having a 14 yo kid arrested over a stupid, run of the mill high school fight. then, saturday, the SRO actually CAME TO OUR HOUSE to make sure i didn't want to press charges.  um, really?  didn't i already say i didn't?  he then told me i had up to 2 years to press charges if i changed my mind.  then, just now, he called me again to "double check".   no wonder kids get arrested now for fighting.  the police will irritate the crap out of you trying to get you to press charges.  seems like over kill to me.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM
5 moms liked this
That's crazy. I haven't been in high school for 15 years but that still sounds nuts to me. Smh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, that's overkill.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
25 moms liked this

The school is covering it's own ass, in a sue happy world.

That is what it sounds like to me.

almondpigeon

i graduated 20 years ago (i'm getting so old!!) and back then we didn't have SROs or anything.  this whole situation is nuts to me.  i've talked to the police more in the past 4 days than i ever have in my entire life.  

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

That's crazy. I haven't been in high school for 15 years but that still sounds nuts to me. Smh.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this

thats not normal... i would guess the school really wants to be rid of that boy.

almondpigeon

i'm sure that's all it is, but dear lord, enough is enough! 

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

The school is covering it's own ass, in a sue happy world.

That is what it sounds like to me.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

you know what, i never even thought of that.  my son did tell me this kids is really aggressive and tries to pick fights with people all the time.  you might be on to something.....

Quoting AmaliaD:

thats not normal... i would guess the school really wants to be rid of that boy.

Kortlynia
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

that's ridiculous! it wasn't like that when I was in high school. You fight you get suspended... end of story. 

robyann
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That is crazy! Kids do get into fights that doesn't mean you should drag the kid AND his family through court. When my ds was in the 4th grade, he put a "sign" on a girls back it said "eat me"....I know that sounds bad, but my ds had no idea what that meant. Another kid told him to write that so he did. The school was trying to get her parents to file sexual harrassment charges on my 9 year old ds!! Thankfully they didn't.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM
4 moms liked this

and if you press charges.  then the school isnt the only one who has an issue with the child.  its not normal to even have the school suggest charges let along bug you three times about it.   imight call that SRO person and ask if the child needs to have charges - what else he has done this year -  if the charges will lead to anger management and positive stuff or just juvie.   also -  think about - you dont want to make your son the target for the aggressive boy and his friends so saying no might be smart too.

Quoting almondpigeon:

you know what, i never even thought of that.  my son did tell me this kids is really aggressive and tries to pick fights with people all the time.  you might be on to something.....

Quoting AmaliaD:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN