Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Remember when...

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
5 moms liked this

1. TV was perfectly entertaining without cursing, nudity, violence, and overall immorality? Seriously, reruns of I Love Lucy are still on and still hilarious and perfectly clean. The Andy Griffith Show...same thing. And there are several others. I don't understand why entertainment has become what it has. Are entertainers less talented? Because they lack real talent, they go for the shock factor? One-up the competing tv stations? Lucille Ball could be hysterical and clean at the same time. She was talented. One facial expression merited an uproar of laughter. What's happened?

2. when a kid got in trouble at school, the parent punished the child and didn't run to the principle or the teacher to chew them out? Nowadays, it's always the teacher who is at fault. The rules are unreasonable. The teacher has it out for their precious snowflake. "My child would never do that." The other child is at fault. As for me, I remember not minding writing sentences 100x. I didn't mind being kept in from recess. Take me to the principle. Paddle my butt.....Just, please, don't tell my mommy. But they did. And I was in trouble when I got home, as I should have been. The result? I recognize I am accountable for my actions and I do not blame other people for my circumstances and I do not try to justify my mistakes.

3. Success wasn't measured by wealth, possessions, or status? Success was measured by one's integrity, character, a healthy marriage, well behaved and bright children, the use of talent and skills, involvement in community, etc.... Because of entitlement and people's sense of victimization in our society today, women are suffering from depression at an alarming rate which is enhanced by the need to be as financially productive as men, yet still perform all the responsibilities of a good wife and mother. As a result, women are exhausted and depressed. Many (not all) feel they aren't successful if they stay home, make a beautiful home for their family and actively raise their children. On the flip side, many men would rather collect from the government than put in an honest day's work to provide.

4. there were morals in general? It was frowned upon for a men to impregnate multiple women. Wedding vows meant more. People wore clothes that covered all their private parts. There were standards of dress, behavior, and responsibility. It wasn't an "anything goes" society. It was a good thing for people to keep their immorality secret...at least parents didn't have to have "a talk" and explain what was seen or heard with their children after every trip out in public. When someone harmed another, stole, or committed any kind of crime, they were punished. Period. Unfortunate circumstances were no excuse.

5. children got a real childhood? They weren't expected to deal with adult issues. Sex was discussed at age appropriate times. Childhood obesity wasn't a problem....not because their diet was so wonderful, but because they played outside (because it was safe), climbed trees, rode bikes and played games like kids are supposed to do. Now? Inside on ipads, computers, cell phones (at 10 freaking years old), tv, video games, and laptops...partially because some parents are afraid to send their kids outside unattended and partially because parents are uninvolved. It's sad.

Now I realize I'm in the minority on this. I also realize that people are and always have been imperfect and just human. But I really dislike the society I'm competing with to raise my children in. I do not think we have made "progress". I think we have complicated life.

realsuccessthefamilyialwayswanted.blogspot.com

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
garnet83
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

BUMP!

garnet83
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM

BUMP!

shannon.m.park
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

sounds about right to me... now off to read your blog!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM
These just sound like a lot of blanket statements. I can't say I exactly agree with them.
wumbo
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I CONCUR!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
garnet83
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

These just sound like a lot of blanket statements. I can't say I exactly agree with them.

I did blanket some stuff. I almost started to write all the specific examples and then I realized there would be entirely too much to read.

realsuccessthefamilyialwayswanted.blogspot.com

garnet83
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM

BUMP!

Lorik1969
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM
All true!
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:47 AM
I'm 26 and sadly barely remember this. It was already fading when I was child. By late middle school it was practically gone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Yep.  Generation Y (also known as the entitled generation) is growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN