Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dh is thinking about going to ND for work...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My husband is thinking about dropping out if school to go to ND. All the companies he has called have told him if he can make it up there someone will hire him...

There has got to be a better way to get in to the oil and gas fields than taking that kind of risk. He would go with another friend and we would stay behind hoping he would get a rotation schedule.

Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Bump
Omd12
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Splitting up a family us very hard. You wod have to both work very hard to keep it together. Also you would need enough income to support 2 apartments ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I'd want a little more reassurance than "someone will hire him" but if you feel comfortable with it, then good luck to you and yours

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

What's he trying to do in the field? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
No. Just no.

My hubby tried that. Did not turn out well.

He does work in ND now as a breakfast Cook in the man camps. But, he was hired locally and sent out. Has a 4 / 2 week rotation and does well. Obviously not as a good as someone actually working on the rig but, better then he would here with two jobs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Anything I guess. We know someone who is up there but he was hired at a job fair. It just seems fishy but if he DOES get a job the pay is great.

Quoting mich.el.le:

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
My advice. Secure a job before leaving the present one. I know most service companies are hiring a good ammount of men.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
That not necessarily true. My hubby works out there and the company he works for provides a room and three square meals a day. They are called man camps.

Quoting Omd12:

Splitting up a family us very hard. You wod have to both work very hard to keep it together. Also you would need enough income to support 2 apartments ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Anything I guess. We know someone who is up there but he was hired at a job fair. It just seems fishy but if he DOES get a job the pay is great.

Quoting mich.el.le:

All I know is my bil went up there to drive truck for a company. He's switched companies several times. They keep screwing him over on pay. etc. It's good money, if you don't get screwed over. But, I only know a smidge of the trucking side of it.

Snowpuma
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
GL its the wild west in the oil fields up there...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)