Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you afford to take maternity leave?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 455 Replies

I just called my hr and found out that my maternity leave is UNPAID.I am currently 6 months pregnant with baby #2 and the company i currently work for does not offer paid maternity leave even though i have been there over 2 years.I am a newly single mom. I am unsure how im going to pay bills.Im not worried about childcare for ds bc he'll be home with me. I can not afford to go 8-15 weeks being unpaid. I know it is common but I am unfamiliar with the process and would really like to know if anyone has any advice. Those of you went to work after birth, what did you do for childcare. Public assistance is not an option. This is so much stress on me and any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone else in a similar situation? What did you do when the time came?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I saved my vacation and sick pay with my second. With my first I was back at work by week 3. :(

kels1023
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I'm in the EXACT same situation. I found out at 6 months that I only get 6 weeks unpaid maternity leave. I would just put money aside. I set aside 2 months worth of pay just to make up for what I won't be making, and a little extra in case of emergency. I wish I could take off 8-15 weeks like you said. But, I would lose my job. And frankly, I just can't afford it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Saved vacation and sick days.
ninjakids
by Christina on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM
5 moms liked this
Cant help, Im in Canada as long as we worked 600 hours we get paid materinity leave.
slransde
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I had 5 Weeks paid at 60% of my salary. The other 7 Weeks we started saving for as soon as we found out I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I had 60% of pay for disability (csection) then vacation time
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
With ds 1 I was paid. With ds 2 I used my short term disability that my health insurance offered. You might want to see if yours offers that option. You will have to have your doc fill out some paperwork and usually it's 80% of your gross pay
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We didn't really need the money from my job,which I was so happy about because I had to go on early maternity leave at 14 wks due to being on bedrest.My husband saved his sick and vacation days so that he was able to take 6 weeks paid leave after the baby was born.

I would start saving now and plan on going back as soon as possible.Are you planning on continuing to work until the last possible day?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
They gave 6 months paid. That is how.

Then I decide 6 weeks after going back this is not going to work.

So I left and started my own business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
3 moms liked this
I didn't have a kid I couldn't afford.

You knew someone would say it, so I'll go first.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured