Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog has pink eye!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I had no idea a dog could get pink eye but apparently they can and my dog definitely has it (nasty green discharge all in her eye). Unfortunately it didnt start until about an hour ago and the vet is already closed... Apparently its highly contagious to human as well. I dont know what I can do until I can get her in and I doubt they will be able to get me in tomorrow... anyone ever deal with this?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
HaileysMom07180
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

do you have an emergency vet there?  it could be an infected scratch, that happened to my friends dog and she had green pus coming out of her eye too

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/conjunctivitis-dogs

Quote:

Serous conjunctivitis can be treated at home. Flush the eye three or four times a day with an over-the-counter sterile saline eyewash or artificial tears. Notify your veterinarian if the eye appears to be getting worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

do you have an emergency vet there?  it could be an infected scratch, that happened to my friends dog and she had green pus coming out of her eye too

No unfortunately not where we live. I dont think we could afford that anyways I heard they charge more than a hospital

beachbeauty
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My dog had that, I just gently washed the discharge off with warm water on a paper towel, then put over the counter artificial tears in it.  She had a cold along with it so I did end up taking her to the vet for that and they prescribed the same eye drops I was already using. 

fairyjester
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Conjunctivitis indogs is actually not contagious.

if he is squinting take him to an emergency vet
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OrientalLily
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I've never tried the home remedy stuff for conjunctivitis before, so I can't say good or bad about it. But I do know that it's a quick and easy vet trip. My dogs have been prescribed a clear ish goop to put in the eye twice a day. Cleared it right up. And although I don't know this for sure, I highly doubt that you can catch conjunctivitis from your dog. Call the vet tomorrow. This is not a huge deal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)