Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How important are formal invitations to you?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 29 Replies

Are you one of those who refuses to attend an event unless you get a paper formal invitation in the mail or is a phone call/facebook invite sufficient for you?? I know a lot of people are old school and prefer formal invitations and then other people just do not care. 

Here is my dilemma. I am about to graduate from college in a few weeks and I am pretty broke. Most of my friends are college students and will be there, but there are a lot of people that I know from another town 3-4 hours away (my hometown) that may be interested in attending. Most of those people are much older and more old fashioned. One of these ladies insisted that I send her a formal invitation and that she would not attend otherwise. I'm happy to oblige her, but I am not sure if I should send out invitations to anyone else. 1) I can't really afford that much 2) Most of the people I would have invited (under different circumstances) wouldn't come because they sided with my mom when we cut ties a few years ago. 

So do you think I should send out formal invitations to everyone or just that one lady? Do you think more people would show up if I made formal invitations or would most people respond positively to a facebook invite/phone call invite. 

Thoughts?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I'm very informal.Pretty much any people that I want to invite to things are on my FB anyways so I usually just make a FB event and add everyone that's invited.Our family/friends don't mind.

LexsMami
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM

BUMP!

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM
As long as Im told the when/ where of an event and that I'm welcome to attend I'll go. If its brought up that something is occurring I don't assume I'm invited, it doesn't bother me at all to receive an informal invitation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM
If you can't send them, it isn't important.
PEEK05
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Nobody I know sends out real invitations anymore lol. I stopped sending them out last fall and now do FB since that's all that anyone does anymore.  I always get a good turn out and haven't noticed a difference in number attending with real invitations vs. FB ones.

ETA: Actually, we do get some real invitations still but only to really big things like weddings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM
You can get blank cards at the dollar store. The most expensive thing would be postage and that's not even expensive.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Weddings or any other event that would be at a venue rather than a backyard or park, etc.....I like to get a formal invite.

PEEK05
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Oh yeah. I'm going to edit my previous reply.  The only real invitations I ever get anymore are to really big things like weddings.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Weddings or any other event that would be at a venue rather than a backyard or park, etc.....I like to get a formal invite.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I would tell her she doesn't have to attend if she wants a formal invite.

I call, text, qnd private message people on FB. No one has ever had an issue.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM

When my sons graduated HS , I made my own invitations for their graduation partys. I bought a package of  good quality paper and printed my own. All of their friends either made their own or sent store bought ones. No one invited us via phone call or FB.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured