Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does it count if he/she is sleeping?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

I posted awhile back on letting a 10yr old stay home completely alone, while parents worked.

The general consensus was that it was okay.

What about letting a child stay home with a adult present who is sleeping? (meaning parent works nights, so they sleep during most of the day)

What age would you say would be to young for that scenario?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Absolutely not! This exact thing happened to a member of my family. The Dad left two kids with Mom after she got off a graveyard shift. Teh kids got out of the house and were found wandering down the street. Police were called and took them into the station. Dad came home and found they were gone. Woke up Mom and they went looking. Of course, they ended up at the police station ready to report their missing children, and guess who was arrested once they told their completely honest story. The Mom! Yep, she got to spend the weekend in jail, and she had never had a record of any kind. She didn't even recall the Dad saying he was leaving. Don't do it!

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM

about 9/10 yrs old. they are old enough to fend for themselves for food. old enough to understand no answering  phone or door, unless they know specifically whos calling or coming over. any problems thry can wake the sleeping parent up. plus if youre friendly with neighbors you can have them check in on tge kid/s.

unspecified42
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM
A 10 year old? Was the child mentally handicapped?

Quoting Anonymous:

Absolutely not! This exact thing happened to a member of my family. The Dad left two kids with Mom after she got off a graveyard shift. Teh kids got out of the house and were found wandering down the street. Police were called and took them into the station. Dad came home and found they were gone. Woke up Mom and they went looking. Of course, they ended up at the police station ready to report their missing children, and guess who was arrested once they told their completely honest story. The Mom! Yep, she got to spend the weekend in jail, and she had never had a record of any kind. She didn't even recall the Dad saying he was leaving. Don't do it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM
How old were the kids?
I'd say 9, by then they should be able to get their own snack and know to wake up the parent if they need something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Depends on the child. My mom had no choice but to work nights when I was ten. I was a good kid though. Never did anything sketchy or behaved out of line. I was overall responsible and my mom checked in on me (by phone) a few times a night when she could get a break. Plus she only had to work till 11.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM

When I posted this, the OP hadn't added the age. The were under 5 years of age.

Quoting unspecified42:

A 10 year old? Was the child mentally handicapped?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Depends on the child...my kids are latch key kids at 5 years old.  They had to be when they started kinder, so they became used to being alone for a few hours after school every day.  There have been times when dh had to work a 24 hour shift and he would get the following two days off of work.  He does this a lot during the summer.  He would do this and he would sleep through most of the day on the sofa, while the kids played and watched tv in the living room. He would get up to make them something to eat.  They can refill their cups with water from the fridge themselves, and they have their own snack cabinet they can get fruit from as they please.  My Dh had no problem keeping them home from childcare on these days, and because they were already used to afterschool rules, there wasn't an issue with answering the phone or door.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quoting LAXmom21:

How old were the kids?
I'd say 9, by then they should be able to get their own snack and know to wake up the parent if they need something.

Quoting Anonymous:

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM
That's too little, although when I was sick I would nap with the kids when they were 4 and under.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LAXmom21:

How old were the kids?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)