Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mobile Photo

I got hooked by the head of a nail in the wall, and it ripped open my wrist.
Its really red and has a booger looking type of scab thing on it.
I dumped peroxide on it and put triple antibiotic ointment on it after I did it, but it looks bad to me.
What do you think is it infected?

It hurts but I don't know if that's because I dragged a nail head through it or if its because of infection. It has kind of a burning sensation to it, but its not warm to the touch.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Replies (51-58):
mich.el.le
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Looks ok to me.

twade26
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I looks infected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Lmao the crap people believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/12/vreeman.carroll.medical.myths/index.html

Now, the ideas behind these steps make sense. Hydrogen peroxide looks like it's working as it bubbles and stings. An uncovered cut seems to dry up, scab and look less moist and open.

Rachel Vreeman

But multiple randomized, controlled trials -- the best kind of research -- show that hydrogen peroxide does not prevent or treat infections in wounds. Not only that, hydrogen peroxide slows healing and may even cause cellular damage. That bubbling you see? It's probably the hydrogen peroxide attacking you.

Quoting Anonymous:

The only reason perodixe is 'bad' is because it can cause scarring. If you don't care about that then peroxide is good at cleaning wounds

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard peroxide is not very good for wounds. They say keep it clean and covered. Vaseline is better than most ointments too. I like the Burt's Bees one because it has natural ingredients.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM
There are dozens of articles on this. I can't believe people still believe in the peroxide myth still too.
Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao the crap people believe.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/12/vreeman.carroll.medical.myths/index.html

Now, the ideas behind these steps make sense. Hydrogen peroxide looks like it's working as it bubbles and stings. An uncovered cut seems to dry up, scab and look less moist and open.

Rachel Vreeman

But multiple randomized, controlled trials -- the best kind of research -- show that hydrogen peroxide does not prevent or treat infections in wounds. Not only that, hydrogen peroxide slows healing and may even cause cellular damage. That bubbling you see? It's probably the hydrogen peroxide attacking you.

Quoting Anonymous:

The only reason perodixe is 'bad' is because it can cause scarring. If you don't care about that then peroxide is good at cleaning wounds

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard peroxide is not very good for wounds. They say keep it clean and covered. Vaseline is better than most ointments too. I like the Burt's Bees one because it has natural ingredients.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/health/01real.html

Another common mistake is applying antibiotic ointments, said Dr. Mark D. P. Davis, a professor of dermatology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. These ointments may keep the wound moist, he said, but they can also lead to swelling and an allergic reaction called contact dermatitis. Plain and simple Vaseline, applied twice a day, works fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Vasiline in not good on open wounds and yes peroxide is ok for wounds. OP it doesn't look infected. Just keep it clean.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Well you would know if you where allergic to it. Sorry but you can find a study to fit anyone's belief.

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/health/01real.html

Another common mistake is applying antibiotic ointments, said Dr. Mark D. P. Davis, a professor of dermatology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. These ointments may keep the wound moist, he said, but they can also lead to swelling and an allergic reaction called contact dermatitis. Plain and simple Vaseline, applied twice a day, works fine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Vasiline in not good on open wounds and yes peroxide is ok for wounds. OP it doesn't look infected. Just keep it clean.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Eh, sorry. When you said salt can create a hostile environment, it doesn't sound like agreement. Thanks for your input.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why bc I agreed with you that salt can help? Some organisms are salt tolerant and are more likely to be on the skin then say your mouth. That's why I agree that salt CAN help (maybe not 100% help) and then went on to suggest honey as another alternative.

Not sure what the problem is : /

Quoting Anonymous:

That's why I said diluted. Why not just tell the OP what your ideas are?

Quoting Anonymous:

Salt does create a hostile environment depending on the micro organism although the skin can be salty already.

An ancient remedy is honey ( real honey not grocery store). It is not a suitable environment for micro organisms.

Quoting Anonymous:

Peroxide can eat away at surrounding skin, no alcohol either. A diluted mix of salt water would be good. It doesn't sound like it, but it will clean it.

Quoting blue_elephant:

Why no more peroxide? Is rubbing alcohol better?

Quoting Anonymous:

No more peroxide, no it doesn't look infected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I meant hostile environment for the pathogenic organism so that it can not cause an infection

Quoting Anonymous:

Eh, sorry. When you said salt can create a hostile environment, it doesn't sound like agreement. Thanks for your input.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why bc I agreed with you that salt can help? Some organisms are salt tolerant and are more likely to be on the skin then say your mouth. That's why I agree that salt CAN help (maybe not 100% help) and then went on to suggest honey as another alternative.

Not sure what the problem is : /

Quoting Anonymous:

That's why I said diluted. Why not just tell the OP what your ideas are?

Quoting Anonymous:

Salt does create a hostile environment depending on the micro organism although the skin can be salty already.

An ancient remedy is honey ( real honey not grocery store). It is not a suitable environment for micro organisms.

Quoting Anonymous:

Peroxide can eat away at surrounding skin, no alcohol either. A diluted mix of salt water would be good. It doesn't sound like it, but it will clean it.

Quoting blue_elephant:

Why no more peroxide? Is rubbing alcohol better?

Quoting Anonymous:

No more peroxide, no it doesn't look infected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured