Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA post slightly different to the norm

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

I know - I know it's been done to the death - but hear me out. My DD is on disability (for legitimate reasons) and today she got screamed at by a random lady for being a dole bludger. This was because DD was talking in the shop about having to pay for a driving lesson, and it being easier to schedule lessons without having to wait for rosters at work, or worrying about being called in at the drop of a hat. her work was a very unmanaged place. It got me thinking though - DD legally does not *have* to work because her disabilities are legitamate and she does need a lot of support - yet she WANTS to work and can't find a job in her preffered industry (childcare - before you bash - she is really really good with "her" kids. Her disabilities don't affect it at all) BUT so many dole bludgers who DON'T want to work get jobs to still get money from the government -so it got me thinking, What prerequesites would you like to see for getting on PA? what about the people that attend interview after interview and purposely screw it up, just so they can stay on the dole? Should there be a mandatory follow up email to make sure the people are making every effort to get a job? should there be proof that they are applying for jobs, just not getting interviews? (as in DD's Case) - tell me what you think.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I'm not a PA basher, I think it's there for a reason and it helps a lot of people. Sure some take advantage of it, but I have bigger things to care about, personally.

Never heard "dole bludger" before though, lol.

want10more
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:43 AM

i had a pal in college. preggo at 15. parents kicked her out. hopped from couch to couch til she graduated, but then thot she could pay for college and daycare at same time. we had to about BEAT her til she got on welfare. she worked her butt off, got her degree and got off. that's what it's there for. i'm against welfare big time. but your DD at least for now, deserves it. what pisses ME off about welfare is the MANY people that work the system to sit on their lazy butts to collect a check, which then makes it harder for the honest people that really NEED it to get it. so yeah, we're on the same page there. but also.... there was a post on facebook about people on welfare having to prove citizenship and having to take drug tests. boooooful. i love it! (ps, tell ur DD to stay strong. she'll get there, cuz she wants to. tell her from ME, a hater of welfare, to collect her check w/ a happy and honest heart, cuz i KNOW she wants more for herself, and she WILL get it someday!)

ajdahd13
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I think the general consensus here is, PA is fine for those who need it. It's the ones who make PA their career choice so they can party or whatever, that we have an issue with. 

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Where I live before they give ANY kind of PA, they give you a form you have to full out proving that you are indeed looking for a job. If you can't fill it out completely, they take your PA away, or you loose quit a bit of it.

Here they want proof that your out looking, and not just sitting on your couch eating Ding-dongs watching soaps all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Weird - must just be a Aus/NZ term  - means that they sit on their arse all day waiting for their handouts.

Quoting Zazayam:

I'm not a PA basher, I think it's there for a reason and it helps a lot of people. Sure some take advantage of it, but I have bigger things to care about, personally.

Never heard "dole bludger" before though, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM

That's what I'm trying to say though - the lazy people who eith er A) do as you've said or B) apply for jobs so that they are allowed to get their hand out but don't want a job

Quoting ajdahd13:

I think the general consensus here is, PA is fine for those who need it. It's the ones who make PA their career choice so they can party or whatever, that we have an issue with. 

Anonymous

Quoting want10more:

i had a pal in college. preggo at 15. parents kicked her out. hopped from couch to couch til she graduated, but then thot she could pay for college and daycare at same time. we had to about BEAT her til she got on welfare. she worked her butt off, got her degree and got off. that's what it's there for. i'm against welfare big time. but your DD at least for now, deserves it. what pisses ME off about welfare is the MANY people that work the system to sit on their lazy butts to collect a check, which then makes it harder for the honest people that really NEED it to get it. so yeah, we're on the same page there. but also.... there was a post on facebook about people on welfare having to prove citizenship and having to take drug tests. boooooful. i love it! (ps, tell ur DD to stay strong. she'll get there, cuz she wants to. tell her from ME, a hater of welfare, to collect her check w/ a happy and honest heart, cuz i KNOW she wants more for herself, and she WILL get it someday!)

Anonymous

I like this. How do they prove it though?

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Where I live before they give ANY kind of PA, they give you a form you have to full out proving that you are indeed looking for a job. If you can't fill it out completely, they take your PA away, or you loose quit a bit of it.

Here they want proof that your out looking, and not just sitting on your couch eating Ding-dongs watching soaps all day.

want10more
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:29 AM

haha... of course she does. YOUR precious baby girl is an HONEST woman. so... she can't get a job right now. those w/o difficulties are having a hard time too. but yes harder for your girl. MY tax dollars go HAPPILY to your girl. she'll find her foots soon. tell her i'm rooting for her!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting want10more:

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM
This first Monday of every month you go and get the form. They give you 2 weeks to bring it back with 10-20 different places on it. When you go to a place, the person you talk to about a job signs it, puts how you applied, whether you applied for a job or not, and if there is a follow up interview.

If by the end of the 2 weeks you don't have it filled out, they sit you down and tell you what will happen if it continues. They also drug test here twice a month.

Quoting Anonymous:

I like this. How do they prove it though?

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN