Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

adopting your teen's baby

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you adopt your grandbaby

Options:

yes

only if that's what my dd wanted

no, not even if she asked

I would prefer a family member adopt the baby

other -ie I can't pick but want to vote.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 264

View Results

Another post about throwing a 13 year old a baby shower made me think about what would happen if your teen (any age) decided to give her baby (or his baby) up for adoption.

Would you want to adopt your grandchild or would you want to have the baby be adopted by strangers or another family member?

On one hand that's your grandchild. On the other hand, that doesn't really allow your teen to separate themselves from the child and could potentially make the baby confused or any number of other issues. I can imagine some girls would be doing some half assed parenting (ie: demanding to make decision but not taking responsibility for raising the baby.) 

I do know on guy who was adopted by his mom but she was away at University when she got pregnant and never lived with him. His grandparents are fully his mom and dad and his mom is more like his sister, although he knows who she is biologically to him. 

I realize many of us have perfect children and that this could never happen because their parenting is just so super amazing awesome but for those who have been through this or are capable of considering a hypothetical situation WWYD?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
luvhugz08
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

If that was neccary yes i would!! 

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Lol. You can't stop her from giving the child up for adoption... and even if you could, it isn't an intelligent decision. Great way to breed resentment. How do you think your grandchild will turn out, being raised by a young girl who makes it known she didn't/doesn't want him?

Quoting starlight91:

No she will take on the responsibility of the child she created.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LovelyMommy24
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Yes, I would. There would be no second thoughts. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My brother is actually my cousin.
DeeMcA79
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My grandparents adopted me when I was 1 cause they found out my mom had decided to put me up for adoption. They basically made my mom be a mom. We all lived together and all 3 raised me along with help from my 2 Uncle's.
So, I guess my answer is yes I would adopt my grandchild.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starlight91
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

You do with your child they way you want to, I will deal with my child the way I want to.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Lol. You can't stop her from giving the child up for adoption... and even if you could, it isn't an intelligent decision. Great way to breed resentment. How do you think your grandchild will turn out, being raised by a young girl who makes it known she didn't/doesn't want him?

Quoting starlight91:

armywifey26
by Krissy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

In a heartbeat

mamide02ninas
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

i would do anything my child asked me because her being honest is better than being on the news for killing her unwanted baby. i would love to help with any grachildren of mine but i still have a ways to go my girls are 3 and 14 months

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

You're absolutely right. If you want to punish your potential grandchild, having him raised by a mother who doesn't want him, more power to you. You'll answer for it one day.

On that note, you cannot, legally, force her to keep it.

Quoting starlight91:

You do with your child they way you want to, I will deal with my child the way I want to.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting starlight91:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it would make for a very healthy relationship between us all... but I guess I can't really say unless it happens and I'm placed in that situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)