Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bill Gates "Rude" Behavior in Korea

Do you think it was rude of him not to educate himself on their customs and culture before travelling there?

Koreans Slap Bill Gates for ‘Rude’ Handshake

Apr 23, 2013 7:35am
epa bill gates south korea handshake vblog thg 130423 vblog Koreans Slap Bill Gates for Rude Handshake

Credit: Yonhap/EPA

SEOUL, South Korea – The buzz in town today is this photograph of Microsoft founder Bill Gates’ shaking hands with South Korea President Park Geun-hye.

Gates, 57, might have not realized it Monday, but a one-hand shake in Korean culture – and also in Asia – is notably casual, done only when the other party is a good friend, of the same or younger age. Using one hand with the other tucked in the pants pocket is considered rude here, done when one is expressing superiority to the other.

“Perhaps it was his all-American style but an open jacket with hand in pocket? That was way too casual. It was very regretful,” said Chung Jin-suk, secretary general at the Korean National Assembly.

President Park’s office has said nothing publicly about the incident and a spokesperson for Gates declined to comment.

But Internet chat rooms and social network sites are filled with views debating cultural differences and analyses of Gates’ laid-back style.

“I don’t know if that was ignorance or just plain disrespect,” Cho Park, a Korean student studying in New York, said. “It was pretty rude of him. The thing is I’m not sure if it is rude in Western culture.”

The controversy doesn’t end there. Gates had met with two other previous South Korean presidents: Kim Dae-jung and Lee Myung-Bak. He apparently gave the proper handshake with both hands to the late Kim in 2002 but was spotted giving an improper shake to President Lee in 2008. That also became a subject of debate.

Some South Korean media have been speculating that perhaps it was intentional, showing his political preference; respect for the opposition leader Kim but disrespect for the ruling party leaders Lee and Park, 61.

“Cultural difference or bad manners?” the Joongang Ilbo newspaper wrote.

“A disrespectful handshake or a casual friendly handshake?” DongAh Ilbo newspaper said in its photo caption.

“It’s a head of state we’re talking about,” said Rick Yoon, a brand retailer in Seoul. “And she’s a lady. This is not just a Korean thing. It’s an international protocol.

“Maybe it was intentional. Otherwise, he has a very strange habit.”

Gates was in South Korea on a three-day visit to promote his start-up TerraPower, which is developing next-generation nuclear reactors.

Wife to Brandon. Mom to two darlings.

nerdy

I blog

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Replies (21-23):
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:26 AM
I don't see the big deal. I'm sure the Korean president will be just fine after said hand shake
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM

He's probably just clueless. If he's there to promote something of his, why would he want to intentionally be rude to someone so important?

TheQueenOfChaos
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I was wondering how a post from April suddenly showed up in my activity. What the hell is that?

Quoting autodidact:

what is this fuckery?

Quoting Anonymous:

Richelle Carey and I have shown our trust in Satan by not complaining and trusting the Plans and guidelines placed before Us in the Name of Satan! We have shown our desire and Passion by showing what we are willing to do for each others Love and Support!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)