Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

omfg a teacher called the police on me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dd is 11. I was running a few minutes late at the doctor and called the school to just have her walk home. She has a key.

Well. Dd forgot her key apparently because I got home 20 minutes after school dismissed and she's on the porch.

Then I get a knock on the door. From a cop. Apparently a teacher saw my dd sitting outside and called me in! The police wanted the name of my doctor and wanted to verify times then left.

Dd said it was Ms. Xxxxxx apparently she had saw dd situng there and asked if she was OK. Dd told her she was fine and Ms. Xxx asked if she wanted to sit in the car while she waited and dd said no. I guess she pulled in the drive..and dd said she was fine then backed out and waited by the fire hydrant and then went on when I pulled onto the street. I do remember seeing a silver suv now.

Seriously I have a headache now. So pissed. She will be 12 in two months for goodness sakes and it was 20 minutes. She should have had her key! It isn't like I do this all the time..today was a flukey thing.

Ahhhhh!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Replies (431-440):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

How was the teacher to know that the parent was only going to be 20 minutes and not all night? They didn't! So, no, the teacher was not overreacting.. and calling the police wasn't an over reaction either.. the teacher that saw this never knew when the parent was going to be home... only that there was a child locked outside.. in who know's what type of weather conditions, with no parent in sight!

Quoting motherslove82:

The child forgot her key. It happens. I know plenty of adults who have done that, too. She did what she was supposed to. She sat and waited. She didn't get in the car with someone else. She handled things well under the circumstances and it was only 20 minutes.if the teacher had kept an eye out for her, I wouldn't care (although I think that is a little bit of an overreaction too), but calling the cops is absolutely ridiculous. They have real crimes to handle. There was no crime here.

Quoting jessi2girls:

There is a difference between being home alone at 11 years old, with access to a phone, food, and other necessities, and being locked out of your home by yourself at 11 years old. 

Quoting motherslove82:

I have to jump in here because you don't seem to understand the function or definition of a mandated reporter. It's perfectly legal for an 11 year old to be be left home alone. There was no abuse. There was no neglect. Therefore, there was nothing to report. Being a mandated reporter doesn't mean you are required to call the cops everytime you see something you don't agree with. It is for cases of abuse and neglect. Being a mandated reporter had absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Wow, you are something special aren't you! "I'm not really blaming anyone"..

What a lie that is!

You've blamed everyone in this post, from the school, your daughter, this teacher.. except yourself.

Again, grow up!

It's called manditory reporter! Deal with it!  

BTW.. my questions are not stupid, they were rhetorical... do you need a dictionary for that too?

And one more thing.. police say not to leave it in an OBVIOUS place!   Leaving one iwth a trusted neighbor for emergencies.. or in a spot that is not obvious is perfectly fine!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm answering your stupid questions and responding.

Duh.

She doesn't have her own key because she's never left alone. This is the first time this has ever happened and I think I'm doing a damn good job. How old are your kids?

We dont put a key outside because that is the number 1 thing police say not to do..people know to look for one.

I'm not really blaiming anyone.

Quoting jessi2girls:

at 11, she should have a key of her own, and there should always be a spare key just incase.   Somewhere where it can be accessed outside of your house.

Again, doesn't matter if you contacted the school or not.. this teacher didn't know, obviously, that you were only 20 mins late, as you tried to pass it off.. she didn't know if you were going to be gone all night, or only 5 mins!  And again, this teacher is a manditory reporter!!! What part of that is so difficult for you to understand? hmm? 

and obviously your time management is that good, because you still didn't make it home before she was home from school!  

Bottomline.. it's on you! only YOU can be responsible for YOUR actions in this.

The teacher was only doing their JOB.. something you clearly have difficulty understanding because you are sooo set on blaming this teacher, rather than seeing your own faults here!

SMH.. guess it's easy to blame someone else, rather than to look in the mirror with your own guilt..

what's sad is that it's not even that big of a deal, and you STILL need someone else to blame!

Grow up!

Quoting Anonymous:

She was suppose to take the key. I said that. She was to grab the key but she forgot it.

And I never said anything about her magically knowing anything you pulled that out of your ass. I said I notified the school and the PEOPLE who needed to know..did. this person is someone i don't even know..even if she is a teacher there.

And my time management is.pretty good. This appt was at 145 and school gets out at 350. Dd was suppose to grab a key I don't follow behind her and make sure. She said she had it when I asked her.

Quoting jessi2girls:

No you didn't say the school had to notify the teacher, you just assumed magically that the teacher know this information for fact.. telepathically or something! 

Do you know what a manditory reporter is? It's someone that HAS to, legally, by law, call the police/cps over things like this. The teacher was just doing what they are legally obligated to do.. and on top of that, went above and beyond and made sure to stay there until you returned home.  

If CPS was notified, it's only because of what happened, and through no fault of this teacher.. again, they are only doing what they have to do.

It's not the teachers fault they were doing their job.. how about stepping in and taking responsibility for your poor time management skills, and for not making sure you had a spare key your child could access..  

Oh that's right, it's everyone else's fault but yours, always will be *rolls eyes*

This is what's wrong with our country today! Nobody knows how to take responsibility for the roles THEY play. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said the school had to notify her. They don't because it is no one else's business

And I didn't realize I was being a bitch by not thanking someone who called the police on me. Lmfao

I don't even know yet if because he was called of cps has to come out. So no. I am not thanking this person I don't even know.

Quoting jessi2girls:

No, this teacher didn't know that you'd only be 20 mins late... you assume the office talks to EVERY teacher before students are dismissed from school.. smh..Very bad assumption on your part.

Again, she was only looking out for your child, and again, is a manditory reporter!

Be thankful someone was there to keep an eye out for her and actually cares rather than being a bitch about it because of the inconvience it caused you!

Quoting Anonymous:

I won't thank the teacher. Her teacher knew I would be 20 or so minutes late. I don't even know this teacher who stopped to talk to my dd.

I'm over it today. My dd did pretty good and followed our rules. She waited she didn't leave and she didn't talk to or get in the car with the teacher. She did good.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Teachers are mandated reporters, she was just doing her job.   For all she knew, your dd could have been out there all night waiting for you! I would instead, thank the teacher for caring, and keep an eye out for your daughter.. and leave it at that. 

sexy_with_7
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Damn it Annie you beat me to it lol

Quoting AnnieMcD:

You clearly don't understand the meaning of mandated reporter.
it does not mean "call the police every time you see a child sitting outside their own home " it means "if a kid in YOUR CLASS comes in bruised all to hell, wearing the same clothes every day, or never eating at home call CPS and allow them to investigate." As a teacher this woman should know that it's perfectly legal for 11 year olds to fare for themselves for short periods of time. Not just legal, but imperative to their development.

Quoting jessi2girls:

use the spare key that we had hidden, or climb through the window.. although my parents never locked the doors so we are talking hypothetically about what I PERSONALLY would have done at age 12. 

AnnieMcD
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM
That's what I do lol

Quoting sexy_with_7:

Damn it Annie you beat me to it lol

Quoting AnnieMcD:

You clearly don't understand the meaning of mandated reporter.

it does not mean "call the police every time you see a child sitting outside their own home " it means "if a kid in YOUR CLASS comes in bruised all to hell, wearing the same clothes every day, or never eating at home call CPS and allow them to investigate." As a teacher this woman should know that it's perfectly legal for 11 year olds to fare for themselves for short periods of time. Not just legal, but imperative to their development.

Quoting jessi2girls:

use the spare key that we had hidden, or climb through the window.. although my parents never locked the doors so we are talking hypothetically about what I PERSONALLY would have done at age 12. 

sexy_with_7
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

That's the point. She didn't know and guess what, she didn't need to know. That's none of her business nor is it a situation she needed to be involved in. If that little girl was outside in the middle of the night that's one thing. This was in the middle of the day. And even if mom didn't come home for a couple of hours so what. That's still not a situation for her to call the police about and it's not her business unless the girl was hurt or something. And this was a couple of days ago, in Arkansas. there was no extreme conditions.

Quoting jessi2girls:

How was the teacher to know that the parent was only going to be 20 minutes and not all night? They didn't! So, no, the teacher was not overreacting.. and calling the police wasn't an over reaction either.. the teacher that saw this never knew when the parent was going to be home... only that there was a child locked outside.. in who know's what type of weather conditions, with no parent in sight!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 66 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Wish teachers would stay to teaching at school. We have a teacher that stocks our house its a pain. ..
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
She didn't know because it wasn't her place to know. There was no crime. Even if the mother was gone for 2 hours, there was no crime. And it's just ridicous to assume the parent was going to leave her overnight. I would be willing to bet the teacher had a cell phone (she was able to call the police). Why not let the child call her mother and let her know she didn't have a key.? She could have easily found out when the mother would be home. There was no abuse, there was no neglect, there was no crime. Yes, calling the police was an overreaction.

Quoting jessi2girls:How was the teacher to know that the parent was only going to be 20 minutes and not all night? They didn't! So, no, the teacher was not overreacting.. and calling the police wasn't an over reaction either.. the teacher that saw this never knew when the parent was going to be home... only that there was a child locked outside.. in who know's what type of weather conditions, with no parent in sight!Quoting motherslove82:The child forgot her key. It happens. I know plenty of adults who have done that, too. She did what she was supposed to. She sat and waited. She didn't get in the car with someone else. She handled things well under the circumstances and it was only 20 minutes.if the teacher had kept an eye out for her, I wouldn't care (although I think that is a little bit of an overreaction too), but calling the cops is absolutely ridiculous. They have real crimes to handle. There was no crime here.

Quoting jessi2girls:There is a difference between being home alone at 11 years old, with access to a phone, food, and other necessities, and being locked out of your home by yourself at 11 years old. Quoting motherslove82:I have to jump in here because you don't seem to understand the function or definition of a mandated reporter. It's perfectly legal for an 11 year old to be be left home alone. There was no abuse. There was no neglect. Therefore, there was nothing to report. Being a mandated reporter doesn't mean you are required to call the cops everytime you see something you don't agree with. It is for cases of abuse and neglect. Being a mandated reporter had absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

Quoting jessi2girls:Wow, you are something special aren't you! "I'm not really blaming anyone"..What a lie that is!You've blamed everyone in this post, from the school, your daughter, this teacher.. except yourself.Again, grow up!It's called manditory reporter! Deal with it!  BTW.. my questions are not stupid, they were rhetorical... do you need a dictionary for that too?And one more thing.. police say not to leave it in an OBVIOUS place!   Leaving one iwth a trusted neighbor for emergencies.. or in a spot that is not obvious is perfectly fine!Quoting Anonymous:I'm answering your stupid questions and responding.

Duh.

She doesn't have her own key because she's never left alone. This is the first time this has ever happened and I think I'm doing a damn good job. How old are your kids?

We dont put a key outside because that is the number 1 thing police say not to do..people know to look for one.

Quoting jessi2girls:at 11, she should have a key of her own, and there should always be a spare key just incase.   Somewhere where it can be accessed outside of your house.Again, doesn't matter if you contacted the school or not.. this teacher didn't know, obviously, that you were only 20 mins late, as you tried to pass it off.. she didn't know if you were going to be gone all night, or only 5 mins!  And again, this teacher is a manditory reporter!!! What part of that is so difficult for you to understand? hmm? and obviously your time management is that good, because you still didn't make it home before she was home from school!  Bottomline.. it's on you! only YOU can be responsible for YOUR actions in this.The teacher was only doing their JOB.. something you clearly have difficulty understanding because you are sooo set on blaming this teacher, rather than seeing your own faults here!SMH.. guess it's easy to blame someone else, rather than to look in the mirror with your own guilt..what's sad is that it's not even that big of a deal, and you STILL need someone else to blame!Grow up!Quoting Anonymous:She was suppose to take the key. I said that. She was to grab the key but she forgot it.

And I never said anything about her magically knowing anything you pulled that out of your ass. I said I notified the school and the PEOPLE who needed to know..did. this person is someone i don't even know..even if she is a teacher there.

And my time management is.pretty good. This appt was at 145 and school gets out at 350. Dd was suppose to grab a key I don't follow behind her and make sure. She said she had it when I asked her.

Quoting jessi2girls:No you didn't say the school had to notify the teacher, you just assumed magically that the teacher know this information for fact.. telepathically or something! Do you know what a manditory reporter is? It's someone that HAS to, legally, by law, call the police/cps over things like this. The teacher was just doing what they are legally obligated to do.. and on top of that, went above and beyond and made sure to stay there until you returned home.  If CPS was notified, it's only because of what happened, and through no fault of this teacher.. again, they are only doing what they have to do.It's not the teachers fault they were doing their job.. how about stepping in and taking responsibility for your poor time management skills, and for not making sure you had a spare key your child could access..  Oh that's right, it's everyone else's fault but yours, always will be *rolls eyes*This is what's wrong with our country today! Nobody knows how to take responsibility for the roles THEY play. Quoting Anonymous:I never said the school had to notify her. They don't because it is no one else's business

And I didn't realize I was being a bitch by not thanking someone who called the police on me. Lmfao

I don't even know yet if because he was called of cps has to come out. So no. I am not thanking this person I don't even know.

Quoting jessi2girls:No, this teacher didn't know that you'd only be 20 mins late... you assume the office talks to EVERY teacher before students are dismissed from school.. smh..Very bad assumption on your part.Again, she was only looking out for your child, and again, is a manditory reporter!Be thankful someone was there to keep an eye out for her and actually cares rather than being a bitch about it because of the inconvience it caused you!Quoting Anonymous:I won't thank the teacher. Her teacher knew I would be 20 or so minutes late. I don't even know this teacher who stopped to talk to my dd.

I'm over it today. My dd did pretty good and followed our rules. She waited she didn't leave and she didn't talk to or get in the car with the teacher. She did good.

Quoting jessi2girls:Teachers are mandated reporters, she was just doing her job.   For all she knew, your dd could have been out there all night waiting for you! I would instead, thank the teacher for caring, and keep an eye out for your daughter.. and leave it at that. 

drivenleonian
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM
The teacher was looking to cause trouble. Kids play outside all the time. DD has an iPhone so I can track her. I'm a SAHM and she's only 10. Although she's never been home alone, I require her to carry a key in the event I pass out from a medical condition I have.
If a teacher showed up at my house, I would press charges.
Teachers are mandated to report abuse!
ReeseAbercromb
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You didn't do anything wrong. That teacher was out of line. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 67 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My sister and I stayed home ALONE when I was in 3rd grade and she was in 5th. An 11 year old would be perfectly fine sitting on the porch for a few minutes before mom got home.

MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM
At 12 my mom told me to sit there and wait for her. do not leave. And sorry but am I the only one who refuses to leave a key outside. You cannot have someone arrested for breaking and entering if they use a key. Also, i wouldn't have been able to climb in a window because we had outer storm windows with screens on them. I think this girl was very responsible and did exactly what she was supposed to do. The teacher had no right to call the cops. There was no reason to report anything because nothing was going on. That would be like saying it's not OK to let a twelve year old play in the yard for twenty minutes.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

So.... if when you were twelve, you got off the bus and your parents were running a little late (which you had already received a message stating they would be) And you realized you'd forgotten your key, what would you do?

Quoting jessi2girls:

There is a difference between being home alone at 11 years old, with access to a phone, food, and other necessities, and being locked out of your home by yourself at 11 years old. 

Quoting motherslove82:

I have to jump in here because you don't seem to understand the function or definition of a mandated reporter. It's perfectly legal for an 11 year old to be be left home alone. There was no abuse. There was no neglect. Therefore, there was nothing to report. Being a mandated reporter doesn't mean you are required to call the cops everytime you see something you don't agree with. It is for cases of abuse and neglect. Being a mandated reporter had absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Wow, you are something special aren't you! "I'm not really blaming anyone"..

What a lie that is!

You've blamed everyone in this post, from the school, your daughter, this teacher.. except yourself.

Again, grow up!

It's called manditory reporter! Deal with it!  

BTW.. my questions are not stupid, they were rhetorical... do you need a dictionary for that too?

And one more thing.. police say not to leave it in an OBVIOUS place!   Leaving one iwth a trusted neighbor for emergencies.. or in a spot that is not obvious is perfectly fine!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm answering your stupid questions and responding.

Duh.

Quoting jessi2girls:

at 11, she should have a key of her own, and there should always be a spare key just incase.   Somewhere where it can be accessed outside of your house.

Again, doesn't matter if you contacted the school or not.. this teacher didn't know, obviously, that you were only 20 mins late, as you tried to pass it off.. she didn't know if you were going to be gone all night, or only 5 mins!  And again, this teacher is a manditory reporter!!! What part of that is so difficult for you to understand? hmm? 

and obviously your time management is that good, because you still didn't make it home before she was home from school!  

Bottomline.. it's on you! only YOU can be responsible for YOUR actions in this.

The teacher was only doing their JOB.. something you clearly have difficulty understanding because you are sooo set on blaming this teacher, rather than seeing your own faults here!

SMH.. guess it's easy to blame someone else, rather than to look in the mirror with your own guilt..

what's sad is that it's not even that big of a deal, and you STILL need someone else to blame!

Grow up!

Quoting Anonymous:

She was suppose to take the key. I said that. She was to grab the key but she forgot it.

Quoting jessi2girls:

No you didn't say the school had to notify the teacher, you just assumed magically that the teacher know this information for fact.. telepathically or something! 

Do you know what a manditory reporter is? It's someone that HAS to, legally, by law, call the police/cps over things like this. The teacher was just doing what they are legally obligated to do.. and on top of that, went above and beyond and made sure to stay there until you returned home.  

If CPS was notified, it's only because of what happened, and through no fault of this teacher.. again, they are only doing what they have to do.

It's not the teachers fault they were doing their job.. how about stepping in and taking responsibility for your poor time management skills, and for not making sure you had a spare key your child could access..  

Oh that's right, it's everyone else's fault but yours, always will be *rolls eyes*

This is what's wrong with our country today! Nobody knows how to take responsibility for the roles THEY play. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said the school had to notify her. They don't because it is no one else's business

Quoting jessi2girls:

No, this teacher didn't know that you'd only be 20 mins late... you assume the office talks to EVERY teacher before students are dismissed from school.. smh..Very bad assumption on your part.

Again, she was only looking out for your child, and again, is a manditory reporter!

Be thankful someone was there to keep an eye out for her and actually cares rather than being a bitch about it because of the inconvience it caused you!

Quoting Anonymous:

I won't thank the teacher. Her teacher knew I would be 20 or so minutes late. I don't even know this teacher who stopped to talk to my dd.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Teachers are mandated reporters, she was just doing her job.   For all she knew, your dd could have been out there all night waiting for you! I would instead, thank the teacher for caring, and keep an eye out for your daughter.. and leave it at that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)