Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding a 3 yr old

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Is that really so odd? My oldest nursed til she was 4, so Breastfeeding a 3 yr old just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But everyone seems to have an opinion about it. Good or bad, people are not shy about letting me know what they think. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
fiddlerbird555
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

To each there own, but at the same time i admit it would be weird if you and I had a play date at the park, and your child ran up to you and said they were thirsty so you breast feed. At that point I just feel its not hard to carry a water bottle

When you nurse a 3-year old, it's not as though that's their only liquid or solid consumption. 3 is  old enough to be told "Not now" if it isn't a good place.

ladysamanda
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
7 moms liked this
Honestly... I FEEL if your child is potty trained, eating food, talking....then it is a little creepy to be giving them a boob. I think at that point you are doing it for yourself. There are other ways to bond.

I would not say anything. I just think it is.....creepy.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I couldn't do it.  That's too long. 

birdiemom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it's weird.
I am currently nursing a 14 month old. We're going til he's done. Whenever that may be.
mamanjulie
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM
My earliest memories are from when I was a bit over 2yrs. Call me uptight, but I didn't want my sons to remember breastfeeding.
twade26
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this

That is weird. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My 10 year old still nurses every once in a while.

I see nothing wrong with it.

SecularMomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM
5 moms liked this

I hate when people say it's creepy. Because it's so normal. Our breasts' ONLY purpose is to breastfeed. But because man has sexualized them, people find it "creepy" to breastfeed past infancy or at all. It's sad. I think ignorance also pays a big part. Before I became a mother I was totally ignorant to breastfeeding and it made me uncomfortable to be around. We have to get back to our human roots on this issue and normalize it again in our society.

tennisgal
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM

i don't think it's a big deal (like in a bad way). i think it's great to see extended nursing.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I think it's great..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I remember, it's just sweet, warm memories of being nuzzled into my mother.

Quoting mamanjulie:

My earliest memories are from when I was a bit over 2yrs. Call me uptight, but I didn't want my sons to remember breastfeeding.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)