Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

breastfeeding *thank you all*

My baby bf allot. I expected that. My mom is concerned she isn't getting all the nutrients she needs from me because she feeds so much but when I give her formula she is the happiest baby in the world. My doc said as long as she is gaining weight she is fine but I think my mom may be right. Did anybody else experience this? Also, how many calories do you burn pumping?

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm going to keep breastfeeding but my doctor told me I have low iron so I'm adding vitamins with iron to pumped breast milk.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
Journeysmama11
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I did the Vit D drops for the first 2-3 months then stopped. It was so annoying. I kept forgetting. He seemed healthy so I didn't worry too much. I remember with my dd the dr telling me to get the water with flouride...I almost always agree with my Ped...but this one...I had to leave this advice alone. My dd turned out ok. :)

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

My pediatrician said that my BF should get vitamin D drops to supplement, She didn't say this with my first dd.  Alot of BFing moms disagree with this altogether, so I dunno.

2BRBgirlz
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:23 AM

This is why I love ya Journeys!  Yeah, I kinda failed at the drops too.  In the back of my head I was always thinking. Really, when was the last time someone got rickets anyways?  On the Mayflower, maybe?

Quoting Journeysmama11:

I did the Vit D drops for the first 2-3 months then stopped. It was so annoying. I kept forgetting. He seemed healthy so I didn't worry too much. I remember with my dd the dr telling me to get the water with flouride...I almost always agree with my Ped...but this one...I had to leave this advice alone. My dd turned out ok. :)

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

My pediatrician said that my BF should get vitamin D drops to supplement, She didn't say this with my first dd.  Alot of BFing moms disagree with this altogether, so I dunno.

Mainstream Moms
Come join us!!  No crunchiness!big smile mini

Journeysmama11
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I think we always seem to see eye-to-eye!

You seriously just made me lmao! ...rickets... lol!

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

This is why I love ya Journeys!  Yeah, I kinda failed at the drops too.  In the back of my head I was always thinking. Really, when was the last time someone got rickets anyways?  On the Mayflower, maybe?

Quoting Journeysmama11:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM
It is 50 calories per session. BF babies are attached to you for 3 months, at least both mine were.
horseap
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Baby fills up on bottle faster so she will nurse more/longer because it comes out slower. As long as she is having GOOD DIAPER COUNTS and gaining weight she is good.  You cant tell by what you pump how much milk she is getting.  And I dont think you can count Cals just from pumping.  You burn it because youre producing milk.  Its not for ever ounce pumped out 75 cals are burned.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Sometimes formula CAN make them feel fuller.   However, I really enjoyed BFing this time around and so did my baby.   I miss it since my doc had me wean him to put me on some meds.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Having to supplement vitamin drops for a BF baby????   Wow, unless you just have a lousy diet or live in a third world country where you have to mix dirt in with your share of rice to get enough nutrients...  I think that's not necessary and maybe even unhealthy.

Quoting Journeysmama11:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting Journeysmama11:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Journeysmama11
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:52 AM

In all honesty I know I don't eat that healthy. But I do try to get as much healthy stuff I can. I had no clue about the Vit D drops. I had never heard it before but everyone I ever knew had formula fed. So I just did what I was told. But definitely didn't agree with the whole flouride thing. I think Flouride is poision. Water is water...why can't even water just be water!? lol

Quoting KrissyKC:

Having to supplement vitamin drops for a BF baby????   Wow, unless you just have a lousy diet or live in a third world country where you have to mix dirt in with your share of rice to get enough nutrients...  I think that's not necessary and maybe even unhealthy.

Quoting Journeysmama11:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Quoting Journeysmama11:

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

Journeysmama11
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM

It is supposed to be about 500-600 calories a day if you are EBF. That's why nursing moms are supposed to have a few extra calories a day. Which is ok with me because I'm constantly snacking! lol!

MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I'm glad you shared that group!

Quoting Zazayam:

Right! It gets a lot easier in another couple months, and so worth it :)

Join this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Quoting Journeysmama11:

This. They eat more often because it is easier on their system so it "goes through" them faster. Formula doesn't. But Breastmilk is the best. Just let baby nurse as much as she wants. My son was seriously fussy for about the first 2-3 months...but is now the happiest (almost) 9 month old EVER! I would do those first few months of torture all over because he is healthy and SO happy now! :) Keep going!  Oh, and check out the Breastfeeding Support Group! They are awesome, I don't get much support at home so they are a huge help! 

Quoting Zazayam:

Breastfed babies eat very often, it's normal. If she's going through enough diapers she's getting enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)