Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

First grade class placement based on academic achievement?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

I know very little of the public school system and have never gone through public schooling myself so forgive me if this is a stupid observation. 

Isn't it kinda messed up that first graders will be grouped based on "academic achievement" into second grade classes or is that totally normal? 

Does this mean there will be a 'dumb' class? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
It's a better way to learn. Not best for the self esteem of those in the lowest class but it's best for everyone.
Idk any schools who group that way though.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Our school doesn't do that, but they do separate into different classes for reading and math based on their levels. I actually like it because then the really advanced kids aren't bored, the slower kids aren't being pushed too hard and everyone is learning on their level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

It just seems kinda messed up. I mean it's only first and second graders. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal in the older grades but this seems so young. :/ 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a better way to learn. Not best for the self esteem of those in the lowest class but it's best for everyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My first grader reads at a 5th grade level. There are 3 kids in her class who can't read at all. I think ability grouping is necessary. Education isn't one size fits all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It just seems kinda messed up. I mean it's only first and second graders. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal in the older grades but this seems so young. :/ 

Quoting Anonymous:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Our school goes by 'continents' North America, Asia, and yes the dumb class- of Africa.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

They already do that within the classroom (her class now is 24 kids) for reading so that makes sense, thanks. 

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Our school doesn't do that, but they do separate into different classes for reading and math based on their levels. I actually like it because then the really advanced kids aren't bored, the slower kids aren't being pushed too hard and everyone is learning on their level.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM
This way those who need more help can progress slower and really master the fundamentals the rest of their school years will be based on. Meanwhile the advanced students can continue to learn without being bored and discouraged.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Wouldn't North America be one of the dumb classes according to statistics lol.

Quoting MrsDavidB25: Our school goes by 'continents' North America, Asia, and yes the dumb class- of Africa.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

Wouldn't North America be one of the dumb classes occording to statistics lol.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Our school goes by 'continents' North America, Asia, and yes the dumb class- of Africa.

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM

wouldn't you prefer instruction based on ablility , it helps no one to put a kid in a class where they won't be prepared for. kids learn at different paces, it unfair to place a child in a class that they aren't ready for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)