Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Travel during the 3rd Trimester?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi, I was wondering how many people have traveled by plane in the 3rd trimester and what exactly your doctor/airline said about it? I will be 30 weeks tomorrow. My husband is waiting to hear back if he got a job in his hometown, we should know in the next 4-5 weeks or less. The job is an amazing opportunity for training for him, plus they would pay our moving expenses and we would be able to have a small house rent free as his mom just wants someone responsible in it and to make pay the utilities. My doc mentioned she might be willing to sign my travel papers but said we would discuss at my next appt. So basically, if offered it's an amazing opportunity for us. But I was wondering about air travel in the third trimester. I would need to take 2 plane rides to get there, (1 flight =45 mins) (2nd flight = 1.5 hours) Opinions?
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I dont believe they recommend flying in the third trimester.  i think even the air pressure in the plane plays a role as well.

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I have heard bad things about doing that. I just don't remember what the bad things were. Maybe it makes you go into labor. I am sorry I can't remember.
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I was 7.5 months pregnant when I flew home from south carolina. Just don't go through the x-ray machine ask to be padded down.

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:41 AM
30wks is the cut off that my Dr will sign off on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strawberry2008
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Thank you all for sharing. I guess I'll just have to wait to see what my doc says. And worst case scenario if I can't go and he gets offered the job, maybe he can go and come back for birth and then I'll fly over? Something like that?
Josie_P
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I'm 28 weeks and in Thailand now for vacation. My midwife said after 36 weeks, it is not recommended. The airlines said nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnLanders
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I flew back and forth from EWR to Sacramento at 34 weeks (eight hours of travel, each way -- round trip was done in under 36 hours).  It was fine, doctor said it was OK.  The flight attendants wouldn't let me sit in the exit row though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)