Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WIC in FL

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I am pregnant with mine and DH's 3ird child. We went to the doctor's office yesterday and among the 50 something pamphlets they gave us, we got one for WIC. Looking at it, it looks like we would qualify. I am  a SAHM and DH makes a pretty good living it says a family of 5 make up to $49,969 a year and qualify, we qualify but just barely, making $49,400 per year. I was surprised that we would even qualify, we live pretty comfortably but I am thinking about applying. Between me and my 2 kids (both under 5) this is what I would get per month:

13 gallons of milk (my kids drink a good amount of milk)

3 LBS of cheese

108 oz of cereal

5 lbs (I guess that is 5 loafs) of 100% whole wheat bread

400 oz of juice

3 dozen eggs

$22 voucher for fruits and veggies

72 oz of peanut butter

There are some things you can substitute (like you can get dried beans instead of peanut butter) but this is what we would choose. I will be breastfeeding so even after the baby is born, I will be getting about this amount.

I am pretty good with couponing and shopping sales to keep our grocery costs down but this amount would really help us. I have heard there is a bit of hassle to being on WIC, is this true? Is the hassle worth everything I could get?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunnbugsmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Theres not a hassle just call the WIC office and ask.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Great, thanks, I really didn't think we would qualify but since it looks like we will, this would really put a dent in our grocery budget.

Quoting gunnbugsmama:

Theres not a hassle just call the WIC office and ask.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM

huh.  DH makes 42k pretax and the only thing we got was medicaid.  WIC is great if you need it.  it's  a little bit of a pain, but overall it's worth it.  just be patient with your cashier.  WIC rules change and it can be hard to keep up. 

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
It's worth it because you can make yummy granola bars with the cereal and oatmeal you can get.

I got it for a while with my son but stopped because he doesn't do a lot of dairy or juice. So it wasn't worth it then for us.
EvilAsh
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

It's a pain with all the coupons and finding exactly what's wic approved and not. A lot of stores now, I've noticed, label things with a reddish orange sticker, WIC approved. 

I thought that was neat when I saw that the other day when I was shopping. Would have been helpful when I was on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I'm in PA but I love WIC, it is about the same here. I do not get everything as I am allergic to wheat and dd will not eat cereal. It is a nice help though on our grocery bill. I'm not sure what kind if hassle you are talking about though. Here you need to separate your WIC purchase from the rest of your food. Some states have a card system, we still have the check so you also need to separate your WIC order by check as well if you are using more than one at a time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

WIC is kind of a pain in the ass if you don't really need it,  you have to take yourself and your kids in every so often to be weighed and you have to go to classes every couple of months.  Also they are idiots when it comes to giving advice about breastfeeding.

Megara
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM
If we had 2 more kids with DH making the same amount we would qualify for WIC. From what I hear WIC is good in Fl. I have a friend on it and it seems like she has more money than we do bc of all she saves on groceries.
armywifey26
by Krissy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I never found it a hassle 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN