Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is preschool/daycare a "must" now?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've noticed in the town where we live, Headstart is just something everybody does. I always thought it was for children that have some kind of disadvantage.
Well, we have a 2 yo son that will turn 3 in July. Lately family mebers will say things to him about going to school next year, and the other day we drove by, and a family member pointed and said there's where you'll go to school next year. Honestly, I don't think there would be any way he would even qualify. We wouldn't qualify financially, and he's not behind developmentally in any way.
My question is...are kids expected to go to something before kindergarten? When I was a kid we turned 5, and then went to school. Once they start it's forever, and then off to work...there's such a small window to just be a kid. I just am not ready to send a 3 yo off to school, but I don't want him starting out behind either...
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
The best preschool tries to simulate the ideal home environment. I think it's unnecessary if you have a good environment for your kids.
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We did Pre-K at 4 with all three of our kids.  It really helped them prepare for Kindergarten.  It also helped with them being away from me.  They got out all of the crying and stuff early on and got used to being somewhere else for the day.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

gypsy.mom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Sending your child to school doesn't take away from being a kid, that logic doesn't make sense. However, sending your child to head start isn't a necessity, if your child is given an enriched atmosphere at home then they'll be fine and ready once they go off to school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
As long as you work with your kids, definitely not a requirement. My daughter never spent any time at a preschool and is at the top of her class and reading at a late first grade level in K and doing math on a mid first grade level. My son was only in preschool for anout 6 months at 2 when I worked in one and is in the advanced group in all subjects in third grade. It's all about what you can give them and continue to give them once they start school.

And honestly seeing some of these kids who were in "preschool" from 2 on and could still barely write their name 3 months into K I'm not sure it does much. And this was many kids in different classes. The right preschool is worth it though, especially if you think they could benefit socially or might need extra help.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

We used to live in a rural area and the Headstart there would let in kids who didn't qualify financially because there weren't enough kids who did qualify. So they held a lottery for the extra spots. Maybe your town is similar? But I think as long as you're working with him at home on letters and counting he won't be starting out behind.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It depends on the town you live in, the school standards where you live.

Here, it's just about required.  If a kid doesn't know all their letters and the sounds they make, all the numbers and simple addition, and some sight words by the time they START kindergarden, they are behind, and are sent to classes to "catch up."  They also need to know normal "school" behavior - sitting quietly, going from activity to ativity as told, lining up, and all that - and of course, getting their own clothes on (boots, jackets, whatever), eating lunch on their own, going to the bathroom alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
As long as your teaching your child and preparing them for kindergarten you should be fine. Just remember kindergarten is nothing like it was when you went to school. Don't know about your school district, but their doing math problems in kindergarten now. Adding, subtracting, basic fractions.
SkylarBeth
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Headstart is an awesome program, anyone can apply but they do accept the lowest income kids first. Developement doesnt have anything to do with it. If you dont want to send your kid to preschool then i wouldnt worry about it. I think it helps with social interactions mostly, but unless its an extremely academic based preschool (lol) then your kids won't have an advantage or disadvantage.
Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Well, I'm sending my 4 year old to pre-k at Montessori, because my husband, I, and my nephew all went and remember it fondly. He's going because it's going to be fun. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

DS is 4 and is in day care because I have to work.  In my family, growing up we did not go to preschool.  The only one was my youngest sister because she would be home alone with mom and my mom wanted my sister to have friends and social skills.  We all turned out ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)