Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids playing on front yard/side yard

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I recently bought a house.  The house was bank owned for about a year maybe a little longer.  The next door neighbor's kids are about 11, 16 and maybe 17.  They all play soccer.  Not in their backyard or on their front yard but on mine.  Maybe because it was abandoned before?  Well at first it bothered me a bit but now they have all of their friends come over about 8 at a time and they are kicking that ball or throwing a ball on my yard.  No I do not have Kentucky blue grass but I do feel like they should stay on their yard with their cleats.  Recently someone pointed out to me that if they fall they can sue me for medical costs? I do not want to get sued. Idk I was raised to not mess with my neighbors property. So my question is shoudl I say something to these kids?  Or should I not? 

Update***

I really want to thank each and one of you wonderful ladies for offering such wonferful advice. I know I have to say something otherwise these kids will not stop.  I do not plan on moving anytime soon so Im just afraid of their reaction.  I can put up a fence for the side lot which I do plan on doing hopefully next summer but it still leaves the front yard open.  Maybe I will install those littledecorative fences around the front lawn along with planting some flowers.  Hopefully they will get the idea. For now Im safe this week since its going to rain lol

It is also so comforting to know that I am not the only one who feels this way. Thank you for keeping it positive ladies! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (151-160):
CatFishMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yeah, it's a tough situation because you want to keep the peace with the people you have to live with for the next umpteen years, but at the same time it is YOUR property. It stinks. Ive seen people around here put up stakes and string along their property line-I dont know why but I just remembered; you could do that and if they say anything just say youre preparing for the fence youre moving up. But I still totally would tell them to get off your lawn-maybe put out little fertilizer flags or say you put down seed or whatever. I wouldnt hesitate to lie if thats what it took to make them go away and still keep the peace.

We live in a house with a pool, just moved here less than a year ago, and in the back, the pool is raised up with a wall and the fence was installed directly into the cement. The people behind us have three kids who seem to think that the four feet beyond our wall is theirs to do with what they will (it's technically ours, though I honestly couldnt care less if theyre out there) but we went swimming the other day, the first hot day, and one of their kids climbed the wall and was sitting on it, spying on us! I was livid and told him loud and clear so his mother would hear to get down, then I said it again because he didnt listen. The next day he did it again and my four year old shouts at me in the house (he was out with my husband) 'Mommy, theres a boy spying on us again!' It was funny-so I told him to politely tell the boy spying was rude and please get off our wall and he did. Then the mother starts shouting at her kid to 'get out of there'. I just stood in the house and laughed. But, I think they are getting the hint, so be persistent!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Unless I invite someone onto my property, it pisses me off when people trespass, regardless of the reason. I even get pissed off when someone lets their stupid dogs roam onto my property. I see from your update people have likely already said it but I'll throw my opinion in, too-I'd get big bushes and plant them all along the border of where they are playing. If they still come over past the obvious barrier, I'd go straight out and tell them they need to play in their own yard, that this is your property. I have zero problem telling kids to get the hell off my property, regardless of age.

I plan on moving my fence up next summer.  My fence for some reason is towards the back of the yard.  My house sits on one of those lots that have a back yard and a side yard.  I hope I am not confusing you.  Even when the fence is eventually put up towards the front it still leaves the front lawn open.  One of the ladies on here said a sprinkler system worked great for her friend.  I really think talking to the parents will not do any good.  I think they feel that they have rights to my property since in their words they have lived there for over 12 years and have never had an issue. Funny thing is when the house was first purchased they stopped by and said what a kid friendly neighborhood it was. Now I know why lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Quoting shannon.m.park:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/18416286/I_am_going_to_kill

Neighbors suck

My other neighbor is a little elderly lady.  She is so sweet gave me some produce from her garden. Also stopped by the house to give me her number just in case.  I shoveled her side walk anytime it snowed.  But yeah the other neighbors do suck lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly why I have been hesitant.  I want to just live in peace.  I do not want to cause any problems or get the stink eye from them.  It just really bothers me.  Especially because they are older. If they were younger maybe they wouldnt know any better.  I guess I am not that patient with unruly teenagers. 

Lol I was so tempted to tell my daughter to say careful with my mommie's pots but I didnt I was afraid they might say something really negative to her. It was a pretty immature thought of mine. Hahaha what a cutie!

Quoting CatFishMom:

Yeah, it's a tough situation because you want to keep the peace with the people you have to live with for the next umpteen years, but at the same time it is YOUR property. It stinks. Ive seen people around here put up stakes and string along their property line-I dont know why but I just remembered; you could do that and if they say anything just say youre preparing for the fence youre moving up. But I still totally would tell them to get off your lawn-maybe put out little fertilizer flags or say you put down seed or whatever. I wouldnt hesitate to lie if thats what it took to make them go away and still keep the peace.

We live in a house with a pool, just moved here less than a year ago, and in the back, the pool is raised up with a wall and the fence was installed directly into the cement. The people behind us have three kids who seem to think that the four feet beyond our wall is theirs to do with what they will (it's technically ours, though I honestly couldnt care less if theyre out there) but we went swimming the other day, the first hot day, and one of their kids climbed the wall and was sitting on it, spying on us! I was livid and told him loud and clear so his mother would hear to get down, then I said it again because he didnt listen. The next day he did it again and my four year old shouts at me in the house (he was out with my husband) 'Mommy, theres a boy spying on us again!' It was funny-so I told him to politely tell the boy spying was rude and please get off our wall and he did. Then the mother starts shouting at her kid to 'get out of there'. I just stood in the house and laughed. But, I think they are getting the hint, so be persistent!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Unless I invite someone onto my property, it pisses me off when people trespass, regardless of the reason. I even get pissed off when someone lets their stupid dogs roam onto my property. I see from your update people have likely already said it but I'll throw my opinion in, too-I'd get big bushes and plant them all along the border of where they are playing. If they still come over past the obvious barrier, I'd go straight out and tell them they need to play in their own yard, that this is your property. I have zero problem telling kids to get the hell off my property, regardless of age.

I plan on moving my fence up next summer.  My fence for some reason is towards the back of the yard.  My house sits on one of those lots that have a back yard and a side yard.  I hope I am not confusing you.  Even when the fence is eventually put up towards the front it still leaves the front lawn open.  One of the ladies on here said a sprinkler system worked great for her friend.  I really think talking to the parents will not do any good.  I think they feel that they have rights to my property since in their words they have lived there for over 12 years and have never had an issue. Funny thing is when the house was first purchased they stopped by and said what a kid friendly neighborhood it was. Now I know why lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I am mean as hell so if you are on my lawn and I don't want you there then I let all of the dogs out at once from the back and scare you off my lawn. Then I will act like I didn't even know you were there. I used to do that a lot to the Jehovah's witnesses. It is fun watching people scatter.

I would tell the kids to go play elsewhere 1st.

Lol my little poodle wont do me any good. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting xixCandyxix:

Put up a fence??

Really wont do any good for the front lawn.  :(

raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! A fence might be a good idea just in case. 

beepsmell
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

just let the kids play!!!!!!!!  who is afraid of the big bad wolf???

twade26
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

You won't know until you say something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting twade26:

Say something to the kids and their parents. Put up some no trespassing signs.

I want to say something but do you think the parents will say anything they see their kids doing this all the time.  The kids dont even play on their own front yard.  Its always on mine. My lot is longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I will defnitely update once I get the courage to say something.  Thank you for taking your time to respond to my issue.  :)

Quoting twade26:

You won't know until you say something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting twade26:

Say something to the kids and their parents. Put up some no trespassing signs.

I want to say something but do you think the parents will say anything they see their kids doing this all the time.  The kids dont even play on their own front yard.  Its always on mine. My lot is longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Quoting beepsmell:

just let the kids play!!!!!!!!  who is afraid of the big bad wolf???

Why don't they play on their nice green lawn. The lawn thats perfectly landscaped :)

I do not want to get sued if something happens. I mean would you? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)