Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I married a Muslim from Afghanistan

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

He's a liberal Muslim

Very Americanized, so to speak

He married me when my son was 4 so took my son as his own, but my sons dad has him 3 days a week so it's not like a 24/7 thing.

He takes my son to Mosque every week for a few hours and we practice Ramadan as a family and other "holidays"

My sons dad is a Christian, again very liberal one

I am buddhist

We, DH and I are planning to go visit his home at some point so that will be interesting, most likely when my son is a bit older and his Farsi is better we will all go together.

We speak Arabic around the home, which freaks my family out lol but I need to learn so I don't care

btw...I am mixed, My dad is Black and French and my mom is German

My mom had the biggest issue with this.  Because I dated a muslim before and she started crying so with him I didn't tell her anything about his religious background I just said he was from the middle east and she'll like him.  And she did, when I told her about him being from Afghanistan she was shocked but she already liked him so she couldn't be all pissy about it.

Any questions?

I will note, with his family it was harder. There are certain things expected of me that I refuse to do.  FOr instance, I will not convert, I will practice with him when its needed, like Ramadan or wearing a Hijab to mosque, but I will not convert.  But inreturn I spent so much time with him mom and sister learning everything I could, from cooking, to traditions, to everything. 

He also wants me to convert, but so far I have been a good wife to a Muslim husband so he understands.

ALSO lol I make more money than him, he doesn't like it, but I think after a certain amount of money it shouldn't matter.  My cash is limitless, I can choose to work a few months and get paid what most people make in a year, or I can work year round and make what people take 3-4 years to make, its just part of my job, but he doesn't like it. Feels like he is failing as a provider. That is a BIG thing because most of his female family members don't even work and arent expected to. 

Ask anything, maybe you have a similar struggle?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Replies (201-204):
DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Marking my place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyhekuba
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM

So you were telling about your family dynamic. It's yours to do with as you please. I really don't care if your family worships trees, toads, or top hats. It's called free will to choose what is right for you.

hopeym23
by J3 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:18 AM

What do you do for a living that you have limitless cash??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I personally believe someone made up this post. It sound ridiculous and so outlandish in so many ways. It makes no sense number one for someone to marry someone and then to try to change them. That is not love. Your ex husband is ok with a man trying to take his place. Your husband is so insecure and has such low self esteem. He is jealous you make more money than him. No man in his right mind would complain if his wife was providing such a good life. This man goes to the mosque A LOT and tries to put his culture on you in another country. How is that an Americanized man? Someone who is Americanized embraces American ways and culture. This man has blantanly rejected American culture. I personally think someone posted this to stir up the pot. Sorry but I have a Russian friend and he is very Americanized. He has no Russian friends. He speaks only English with his children at home, his kids have American names, he eats American food, he says he's American since he is an American citizen. He loves this country. Your husband is not speaking English in his home and is following another culture. He is not Americanized in anyway shape or form. I am sure you made this up. You have a PHD, but you say the things that make no sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)