Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

common core??

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 135 Replies
I'm just curious who has kids learning common core in school right now. What grade/age are they? What are they learning and how do you like it?
I'm curious because I haven't been able to find out much about it and my son is starting kindergarten this fall. I've hear not so nice things about it, like kids that aren't learning how to divide or real a face clock. I don't know if that's just in my area (I haven't heard nice things about the schools these kids are in either) or if this is how it is all over the place lately.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
popomill
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Bump!
Diamepphyre
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I have never heard of that.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Our school district is. I think it's dumbing down education even more pathetically than before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

No...and I haven't paid attention.  My oldest is half way through high school and my youngest attends a private school.

I'm sure it's just another way to make everyone equally stupid and manipulable.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I homeschool so it doesn't really apply to the way I teach.

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Our schools are implementing them now, my little ones start K in the fall.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Go to your state's department of education website. Look for Common Core Standards. It will tell you all you need to know. They are taught K-12 and they are a pain in teachers' asses. And if I have to put another one for math on my social studies lesson plan I might snap!

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I homeschool so it doesn't really apply to the way I teach.

You'd want to punch someone in the face. There is nothing more annoying than trying to figure out standard corresponds with your lesson -_- because these are things you need to tell people who have never taught a day in their life but make the rules on how you should teach!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I like them. We've been teaching according to common core for 2 years. Any state education website should lay them out for you.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Google your state department of education. Their should be a link to the standards. Read them for yourself before judging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured