Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for the Christians about childhood salvation????????????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son attends a Christian preschool but we are not Christians. 

I obviously have no issue with him learning about Jesus and the bible or I'd choose another school. 

This year's teacher is by far the most extreme in the religious parts of the curriculum. I'm sure she knows from what my son says that we don't go to church or practice organized religion. He comes home saying prayers and telling bible stories all the time. I have no issue with him learning about any of it. 

But this week he came home with a note from her saying that he asked to have Jesus in his heart so she prayed with him and now he's saved. The note said he was now in the book of the lamb and when he died he would go to heaven. She also said we should rejoice in his decision. 

I'm not really sure what to think about this. Is this something Christians think a five year old is capable of deciding on his own? I would think parents who worshiped this way would want to be present when their child was saved. And I don't believe for one second he understand any of it or can really have faith in something when doesn't know very much about it.

On one hand I feel like it's disrespecting our beliefs, but on other I know I sent him to Christian school. 

Is something you think is appropriate to have happen without the parents knowledge?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I would have a huge issue with that, but then again that's why I wouldn't send my kids to a religious school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM
6 moms liked this

Salvation is a personal thing.  He can choose to be saved without having to gain permission, no matter what age he is.  Having said that, I don't think this can be truly accomplished at a preschool age.  I believe that young kids don't truly know what sin is or what they're being saved from.  They don't get the concept as a whole.  I think this happens at around 10-12 (age of accountability).  I think at this young age, he's just going along with what his teacher or his classmates are doing.  

I have a 10, 8 and 4 year old and they're not saved.  Our 8 year old has expressed interest, but I think it was just the topic of the day and he was going with it.  It hasn't been brought up since, so we feel he's not truly ready.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
If he's smart he will outgrow it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Salvation is a personal thing.  He can choose to be saved without having to gain permission, no matter what age he is.  Having said that, I don't think this can be truly accomplished at a preschool age.  I believe that young kids don't truly know what sin is or what they're being saved from.  They don't get the concept as a whole.  I think this happens at around 10-12 (age of accountability).  I think at this young age, he's just going along with what his teacher or his classmates are doing.  

I have a 10, 8 and 4 year old and they're not saved.  Our 8 year old has expressed interest, but I think it was just the topic of the day and he was going with it.  It hasn't been brought up since, so we feel he's not truly ready.

I know he was just kissing his teacher's ass. But she doesn't seem to understand that. 

Would it had bother you if one of your children did this when they were his age?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If he's smart he will outgrow it.

I have no doubt about that. 

That's why it doesn't bother me that he's learning about it. I want him to understand it. 

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jillbailey26:

I know he was just kissing his teacher's ass. But she doesn't seem to understand that. 

Would it had bother you if one of your children did this when they were his age?

Not really, but we're Christian.  I'd just shrug it off.  If I were in your position, I'd leave it alone for now.  Then if something else comes up about him being saved, I'd talk to the teacher.  If it still came up, I'd talk to the director.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM
i'm christian but we choose to dedicate our children. it means we promise to raise him in the ways of the Lord and teach him about God but that when he gets old enough he will choose to be baptized if it is what he truly believes. I don't think that a five year old understands any of it. I would be a little upset that they did not ask your beliefs before doing this. There are many branches of Christianity and in some, this is not the way things are done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Not really, but we're Christian.  I'd just shrug it off.  If I were in your position, I'd leave it alone for now.  Then if something else comes up about him being saved, I'd talk to the teacher.  If it still came up, I'd talk to the director.

That's what I was planning to do. 

I just didn't know if this was a typical thing. I agree with you that's kids this age aren't able to really make this decision. 

I really thought a Christian parent might be upset about it. I didn't know if it's the kind of thing you'd want to be there for when it happened. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I agree except I was 4 when I became a Christian. I understood what it meant and I followed Christ from that point on. My husband was also 4.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

i'm christian but we choose to dedicate our children. it means we promise to raise him in the ways of the Lord and teach him about God but that when he gets old enough he will choose to be baptized if it is what he truly believes. I don't think that a five year old understands any of it. I would be a little upset that they did not ask your beliefs before doing this. There are many branches of Christianity and in some, this is not the way things are done.

I think she's figured out what our beliefs are and this is her way of going around them. 

I don't have an issue with him believing. But I think it's foolish of her to think at his age his really understands and has true faith. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)