Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Babies shouldn't have juice"

Mobile Photo

Posted this picture of my son on Facebook and my friend posted "babies shouldn't have juice" i told her to mind her own damn business. She doesn't even have kid yet and sea telling me how to parent *rolls eyes* sorry for ranting but god people are stupid.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (241-250):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Sugar is not sugar, in regards to real fruit vs store bought juice. For one, store bought juice is so heavily processed that the natural fiber is wiped out, along with the nutrients because they also pasturize it and heat kills nutrients. What is left is a bunch of sugar and the reason why this sugar isn't the same as it is in real fruit, has to do with fiber. Fiber helps our bodies regulate that sugar by breaking it down slower so that our bodies don't get a sugar spike but use that sugar the way our bodies are supposed to use it. This isn't something we have made up. This is scientific fact.

Also....There is no such thing as sugar free juice because ALL juice contains sugar.

Also.... Yes, babies can get rotted teeth from drinking juice, especially from a bottle becuase all of that sugar sits on the teeth. Again, this is a scientific fact.

Also.... drinking juice fills a baby up, which means less real food they are eating.

Also.... Any Dr. that would tell a parent that it's OK to give a baby, or any child juice, needs to find a new carreer. Some DRs will tell parents that if they CHOOSE to give their child juice, limit it heavily. That isn't the same as saying it's OK.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Im sorry but thats not true. Its like saying spanking is lazy parenting, thats not true either

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

if you give your kids juice, it tells me you dont really care about their health, weight, much less their teeth

Im sure that is a rather over sized blanket statement but its what I think

yperez0209
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Why the comment about God people being stupid because she doesn't agree with you on giving juice to your child? Don't understand the relation between the two. 

Anyway, perhaps you would consider me a "God person" but I don't see anything wrong with giving a baby juice. I wouldn't make it the main part of his diet but I also wouldn't obsess over it. I'm a believer that in moderation it's ok. You can even mix it 50/50 with water just to cut down on some of the sugar. 

Yes, there are studies about juice being linked to obesity in children but I believe that's when it's given to them all the time. As long as he's drinking milk, eating a healthy diet, and getting plenty of water, a little juice here and there is not going to make him overweight or sick.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Just because they are drs does not mean they know everything. My dr told me not to give juice until after a year so not all drs agree its ok. My old primary care dr told me its safe to take Advil throughout my entire pregnancy and that all antibiotics are safe to take during pregnancy and he's wrong about both. They aren't incapable of being wrong

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

But yet doctors and such say its fine. Are all doctors wrong then?

Quoting nocalmegan:

It's not good for their tummy either. It's full of sugar. It's just empty calories.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

All of you guys act like a baby is going to have serious dental problems from drinking juice

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

apple juice is so processed

if it takes a machine to create it, it takes a machine to digest it

an apple is in its purest form, natural and raw, therefore the body digests it no problem. of course there is sugar in it, but it is natural. also like you have already been told- the apple is like a natural toothbrush.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Both are full of sugar so what is the difference, what makes one worse than the other

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

omg you idiot

are you arguing that drinking apple juice and eating an apple are the same thing?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

It is the same. You guys are dumb. Juice is not bad for babies. Get over it

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not the same, apples have fiber for one thing and they clean off your teeth as you chew. Juice is just empty calories and they bathe your teeth in sugar. You may as well give kids candy.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Ok theb eating an apple and drinking apple juice is the same thing. Baby food has sugar in it. So it that bad to feed the baby something full of sugar?

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no such thing as sugar free juice. Juice is made from fruit and fruit is full of sugar.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

That's you. I don't think it's bad and if a doctor says its ok for infants and toddlers to have juice then its ok. My child usually has sugar free juice anyways

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Yes it most juices have 30g of sugar in a serving and fake sugars are terrible.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Its not bad and there are sugar free juices available

Quoting Anonymous:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, why is it bad to drink juice from a bottle? I'm pregnant with my first, there is a lot I don't know lol

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Babies shouldn't have juice, and definitely not from a bottle. Your facebook friend is not stupid. Look up bottle rot. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My kids' DR is pretty vocal about store bought juice being crap.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Quoting nocalmegan:

It's not good for their tummy either. It's full of sugar. It's just empty calories.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

All of you guys act like a baby is going to have serious dental problems from drinking juice

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry but this made me laugh. You can *feel* however you want, that's fine, but science is science. Babies do not need juice. It IS bad for them, in fact it's bad for everyone. It's SO much sugar and the only people you will find needing it in large quantities are raw eaters, because sugar is their main calorie intake. People on diets trying to lose weight are told not to eat fruits and if they do, to eat melons because they're low in sugar and high in just water. The benefits of some fruits are their polyphenolics, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins. You know which ones have most of those good things for you in them? The fruits people don't even realize are fruits, like avocados and bell peppers.

You are right.. "we all believe different things". I believe science and you believe whatever it is you believe.

Let the kid have a treat, I don't care, I actually agree with that. I give SD chocolate milk as a treat.. but don't kid yourself into thinking it's a "healthy" treat. That's like an oxymoron...healthy treat. 

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

You have yet to realize all us moms are not the same. We all believ different things like you guys and juice. I dont see it as bad and you see it as bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM
It's your mothers job to tell you that you are smart..... Doesn't mean it's true.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

That would be my mom and i find that very insulting. My mother is very smart

Quoting Anonymous:

Whoever told you that must be an idiot too

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

No im very smart

Quoting Anonymous:

So you're just stupid then?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Im not a troll

Quoting Elyce225:

Holy shit, please tell me you are just trolling them.  Do you really believe what you are writing?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Babies can't really eat apples and not all juice has artificial colors and such. Sugar is sugar lady

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

can you tell me some benefits of juice?

its full of fat, fake sugar, fake colors, preservatives....hmmm what else. its all "created"

can you really not see how an apple would be the better option?

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Omg another person who thinks juice is bad for babies

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

No, they are not the dumb ones in this conversation!

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

It is the same. You guys are dumb. Juice is not bad for babies. Get over it

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not the same, apples have fiber for one thing and they clean off your teeth as you chew. Juice is just empty calories and they bathe your teeth in sugar. You may as well give kids candy.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Ok theb eating an apple and drinking apple juice is the same thing. Baby food has sugar in it. So it that bad to feed the baby something full of sugar?

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no such thing as sugar free juice. Juice is made from fruit and fruit is full of sugar.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

That's you. I don't think it's bad and if a doctor says its ok for infants and toddlers to have juice then its ok. My child usually has sugar free juice anyways

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Quoting Anonymous:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, why is it bad to drink juice from a bottle? I'm pregnant with my first, there is a lot I don't know lol

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Babies shouldn't have juice, and definitely not from a bottle. Your facebook friend is not stupid. Look up bottle rot. 

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I am done responding to you since you won't educate yourself and doctors are not always right.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

I dont read links and i never over juice my child and i read the labels and such

Quoting SweetPea2004:

No it is not especially if you are buying concentrates and not 100% juice. You get nutrients from the peel of the apple also. Watering down juice is better than straight juice, another problem is most parents don't realize they are over juicing their child. 

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/daily-fluid-intake-toddlers-6642.html

http://www.articles.complexchild.com/00037.pdf

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

CafeMom Tickers
kaylaybaby666
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM
My child had juice after she ate. Its not like i give my child juice all the time and i brush her teeth so whats the big deal?

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Sugar is not sugar, in regards to real fruit vs store bought juice. For one, store bought juice is so heavily processed that the natural fiber is wiped out, along with the nutrients because they also pasturize it and heat kills nutrients. What is left is a bunch of sugar and the reason why this sugar isn't the same as it is in real fruit, has to do with fiber. Fiber helps our bodies regulate that sugar by breaking it down slower so that our bodies don't get a sugar spike but use that sugar the way our bodies are supposed to use it. This isn't something we have made up. This is scientific fact.

Also....There is no such thing as sugar free juice because ALL juice contains sugar.

Also.... Yes, babies can get rotted teeth from drinking juice, especially from a bottle becuase all of that sugar sits on the teeth. Again, this is a scientific fact.

Also.... drinking juice fills a baby up, which means less real food they are eating.

Also.... Any Dr. that would tell a parent that it's OK to give a baby, or any child juice, needs to find a new carreer. Some DRs will tell parents that if they CHOOSE to give their child juice, limit it heavily. That isn't the same as saying it's OK.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Im sorry but thats not true. Its like saying spanking is lazy parenting, thats not true either

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

if you give your kids juice, it tells me you dont really care about their health, weight, much less their teeth

Im sure that is a rather over sized blanket statement but its what I think

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Mine too

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

My kids' DR is pretty vocal about store bought juice being crap.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

lol since when?

Quoting nursiepooLPN:

Babies shouldn't have juice...especially in bottles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)