Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you stand by your child's decision to be vegetarian?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My child wants to be vegetarian. Always loved animals and this does not surprise me. She cries at any cruelty to animals. My family thinks I should make her eat meat and even sneak meat into dishes without telling her. I talked to her doctor and he doesn't have an issue with it. Am I wrong to support this? My family says she's too young to know. She's 9.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Replies (981-985):
VarelaClan
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

They are wrong for trying to tell you to force your child to eat meat when they feel strongly against it. You can have a very healthy diet as a vegetarian. 

lavagirl27
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

There nothing wrong with her decision. I dont believe that children should be forced to eat something they dont want as long as they eat a balanced diet and you can afford they likes and dislikes.

mama3p
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Yes I would! My husband went veggie in high school and his family treated him like shit for it. They would tease him,his mom flat out refused to by him any "extra's" etc... My dad on the other hand would make sure to make him something veggie when he would come over for dinner..i.e..make him his own veggie pizza if he was making home made pizza that night. A few years later all of a sudden his dad decides to be vegan and some other family members (the same assholes that ridiculed him) decided they were vegetarians...smh.. accept your child for who they are and don't listen to the idiots.

LADYxGHOST
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I have meat a few healthy vegan but they had money to spend on the alternatives.  My son didn't want to eat anything that came from killing an animal. He is 11 now and finds it funny when people say they are vegatarians becasue they do not want to eat dead things since the fruits and veggies are technically killed in order for us to eat them. I agree. Fruitatarian is the only way to go if you are going on stand you do not want to eat death. My ds just had a love of animals and didn't want to be part of their death.

Quoting kailu1835:

I forgot about honey... Thanks for reminding me of that. Anyway, most of my veggie friends drink/eat dairy products. One will eat eggs. I have had a couple of friends who were vegans for a while. Both got severe anemia and one started getting sick constantly and they couldn't figure out why. The doctor ordered her to add some foods back into her diet (they were specific, but I don't remember which, I'm guessing dairy) and she stopped getting so sick. She also had to take a ton of iron because she was severely anemic. I understand why people try this other way of life, but I have yet to meat a healthy vegan. Lots of healthy pescaterians (sp?) and vegetarians that eat dairy, but I think vegan is way more limiting than what is healthy. Our bodies were made to eat a balanced diet. I would think someone who only eats food you can get from trees is not going to live very long. There are very few options there, and it is not even remotely balanced :(

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

I never heard of the term vegan until I was an adult. As a child I knew people who identified themselves as vegatarian and didn't eat anything that was made with eggs or milk. In fact if a vegatarian eats eggs he isn't a vegatarian anymore, he is a ovo-vegatarian and if he eats milk he is called a lacto-vegatarian. Straight up vegatarians usually do not eat eggs or milk. Vegans are an extreme version of vagatarianisim which opstain from any food that comes from animals to include eggs, milk, butter, honey, certain refines sugars that use animal by products in its refining process, any food tested on animals. Veganisim isn't just a dietary change, it is a lifestyle. My ds went through a phase where he was an ovo-lacto-vegatarian and would not eat any meat from an living creature but would eat eggs and milk. Perhaps are disconnect is our understanding of the term vegatarian. A person can be a type of vegatarian and eat eggs and milk and honey and the like but it is a sub-class. Vegan is an extreme class and so is fruitatarian 9a typr of vegatrianism that requires you to eat only food that nothing was harmed in the getting of, no meats and no fruit or veggies in which the plant had to die to get the food. No carrots, potatos, hense fruitatrian since most fruit grows on plants and can be harvested without harm to the plant. Both are more than dietary choices, they are a refection of beliefs. The term vegatarian means to cut out all animal products from your diet. The sub-sects make allotements fro certain ones or include even more.

If you are going by lacto-ove-vegatarianism, then yes it is faitly simple dietary transition, however it is still important to ensure a balance protien diet but including other protien sources. based on what you stated you deem vegatrain, then your statements are totally correct. I was basing mine off of actually living with a group of vegatarian and they educated me on the differences amoung there own diets and of course the vegan in the group felt he had the better and looked down upon the lacto-ove-vegatarians.

Quoting kailu1835:

There's a pretty big difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan.  Vegetarians eat products derived from meat, like dairy products and eggs, while vegans do not.  Being a vegan is much harder, and IMO not very healthy.  There are certain proteins that you can ONLY get from meat/meat derivitaves, and iron is found primarily in meat/meat derivitives.  Green leafy vegitables do have small amounts of iron, but nothing like what you would find in meat.  Spinach is packed with iron, but
only a tiny amount is actually available for your cells to use, due to
high levels of oxalic acid, which is actually an iron inhibiter and
binds specifically to iron, so it's a sort of self-canceler.

Since we are talking vegetarian and not vegan, it would be almost laughably easy to cut out meat.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

I never said it was a huge complicated event. I said it was something that it was something that would need parental support because she would need there assistance on following through. Suprisingly enough you areed because you said the parent would have to teach her, wouldn't that mean the parent would have to educate themselves on what items subsitute for meat and how to prepare them. And regarding eating meat at every meal, many of us actually do in various ways. Depending on the level of vegatarianisim, milk with ceral, eggs, butter on toast, bacon bits on salad, dressing on salads (milk product), Being a vegatarian isn't just cutting out the actual meat like beef and pork, but about cutting out food items that are derived from animals as well.  This removes many items we eat on a daily and at every meal.  All I said was she would ned mom's support as she couldnt do it by herself. If you want to make your 7 year old cook meal, fine, but that doesn't mean all 7 year olds can. maturaty and responsibility levels vary among people and children are no different. I certaintly would error on the side of safety on a child I never met. rather then presume they are ready for cooking on a stove at 9, I would presume that they may not be ready. As I stated i started cooking on a electric stove at age 3. Yes i was able to do it and I never burned myself or the house down, however I am pretty darn certain that it isn't a real expectation to say my dd at 3 should be able to cook something simple like sloppy joes just becasue I could at that same age. I also know amoung my own children they vary in what would be appropriate and safe for them to do. You where the one making it complicated by comenting not on the topic but on my comment about not being able to cook all her meal (even if she was capable i will not waiver on it not being appropriate for a child to cook all thier own meals).  How about, stay on topic and not nit pick on a comment based on your child's skill level.

Quoting kailu1835:

Do you eat meat for every single meal? I sure don't. We only occasionally eat meat. So for my kid, it would mean making a couple of meals a week. That's completely feasible for a 9 year old. Heck, my kid is turning 7 in a few weeks, and he makes oatmeal in the microwave, makes his own sandwiches most of the time with whatever sandwich materials are in the fridge, etc. When we have microwave meals, he is capable of reading the time needed and making it himself.

Ni, the kid can't buy groceries for herself, but it is easy enough to make meals that are meat free from basic foods that would be on a normal shopping list, and it is easy enough to let mom know if there is something special she needs for a certain recipe. I don't why you think that eating without meat is some huge complicated ordeal. It isn't.
Who is going to teach her? You are, as your child's parent.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

I did not state she couldn't make a meal once in awhile not did I state she was not able to. As you stated your friends child OCCASIONALLY made the meals. This is a dietary change which would mean if the mom didn't make the meals to fit the dietary choices the child would have to make 3 meals a day 7 days a week 365 days a year AND THAT IS NOT OK FOR A 9 YEAR OLD!

My ds and dd have made meals for themsleves since they where 6 (I began cooking at 3) so yes I know they can cookm to a degree and they can with education make smart food choices. However finding other portiens to fill her diet isn't going to be an easy task fro the child since SHE CAN NOT BUY GROCERIES so agin will need parental support. In my health class they never covered well balanced diet that excluded meat so who is going to teach her and help her learn what food replace meat and in what proprtions for her size and age (most resources are related to adults of average size not 9 year olds so she will need to know how to size down the potions to fit her needs.) Most school programs have no true vegatarian meal option so if her school does not she will need to be able to pack a balanced vegatarian lunch. She should not be cooking every single meal she eats until she decides to eat meat, that is not supporting her that is a punishment. At 9 she can help by researching her diatary needs and finding alternatives to meat. She can look for them at the store and even put them in the cart but the parent should still purchase the foods (thus need for parental support) She should help out cooking regardless of the diet choice to learn how to cook for herself. However it shouldn't be every meal she consumes, but a meal now and again. Learning how to prepare and cook her alternate food choices is a must but cooking them every meal is not. I am not sure how stating a child can cook a meal occasionally relates to a child having to cook every meal. Regardlessof the education, a child should not be cooking all her own meals at 9 years old. That isn't about education it is about age appropriate activities. No amount of education will change that. There a things a child should do and shouldn't do. Cooking ALL their meals isn't one of them. and given this is a diatary change it would be ALL her meals that would be affected.

Quoting kailu1835:

Depending on maturity, a 9 year old is perfectly capable of making their own meals. At 8, my friends son occasionally made the family dinners, including planning. The meals were always a healthy balance because those values had been instilled in him. So really, with a little education, just about any child can make their own meal.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

She is too young to know how to balance her diet with other protiens other than meat so you would have to be willing to do this for her.  My ds went through a phase where he wouldn't eat chicken and it lasted for nealry 2 years. Then one day he started eating chicken again.  Honestly it is your call, she is too young to dictate what foods you cook and can not cook for herself. if you support her on this, then support her. It isn't anyone elses call. If you are the one fixing the meals, then fix them how you decide. if it is adding more portiens that are not meat option at meal time for her, then do so. However, do not expect others to cater to the dietary whims of a 9 year old. She isn't old enough for many adults to respect her desires as rules to follow.  Children these days are more exposed then any other generation and to not assist them in dealing with what they are exposed to (the knowledge of the curlty to animals in the meat priduction process) tells them that what they think and feel does not matter, that is a sure fire why to get a rebelious child on you hands. 

DandJsGrandma
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Haha my daughter did the same thing at age 9. The first time a pepperoni pizza was ordered she had some. I didn't make a big deal about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)