Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Weird Mormons.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
No offense to Mormons but this Mormon family in my neighborhood is uber weird. Like creepy.

They are 22 and 23 years old and just adopted a 10 year old girl. I didn't think it was possible but apparently their church is very tied up in the local court systems and they got a few strings pulled.

She wouldn't go in to anymore detail than that. It was strange lol.

They creep me out to be honest. They're hipsters and they're always outside doing these weird photography shoots. I feel like I've stepped in to Pinterest every time i go over their house for a party or get together. And everything they do and say seems so "right". Like they've rehearsed these lines before.

They're nice but I would love to be a fly on their wall lol
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM

you must live in utah?

JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

lmao.. my aunt is mormon, I washed her laundry once. Totally busted a gut when I seen her "under garments" lmao. They are super silky tho. bahahaha.

Quoting MilkLover0203:

Mobile Photo

Maaaagic underwear!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Poor 10 year old girl will now be forced to grow up mormon. They really shouldn`t be able to adopt. All cultists should be blacklisted from ever adopting, as they end up raising the child who has no choice, to be cultists as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM
That's the beauty of the religion no reason is needed if the prophet says so. The thing i wonder is if they've always had a prophet that speaks to god wouldn't god want to tell his people how to treat their bodys right and make a relevant standard not a 100 year+ "words of wisdom"

Quoting ZsMommy:

But no one can give me a solid reason "why" no hot beverages (other than hot cocolate-I seriously don't get it-why is that allowed-it's hot...it contains caffeine)

It's not a caffeine claim cuz I just found an artticle released from the LDS that allows Coke & Diet coke consumption. So to say they contain caffeine--nope-not buying it.

Until I hear an absolute "why' -sorry,I'm viewing the "no hot beverages" rule kinda out there.

And not to be rude-but why are the "proud Mormons" hiding behind the anon key in this post? I'm a non-denominational Christian...I'm not hiding behind anon. Now you know my faith to go with my screen name.

Quoting Anonymous:

We follow the Word of Wisdom which prohibits tea, coffee, alcohol, and tobacco.

Quoting ZsMommy:

I hear ya-I even tried to google and there's mixed answers.

eye rolling

Quoting Devious333:

Lol they are a bunch of hypocrites. The first time he lectured me about how bad tea is for my body, while he sat there with a diet coke, I was like wtf? How am I supposed to take that seriously? My niece came to visit (she's my sil's dd) a few weeks ago. Well she made herself some tea, and FIL told her, "Don't you be drinking that in my house!" Yet they can drink all the soda they want. Lol my in law's drink hot chocolate when they go camping. The tea thing, I was told, is because of caffeine and they aren't supposed to ingest anything that could put them in an "altered state." Who knows lol I'm done trying to figure it out!

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting Devious333:

Dh is Mormon. My FIL preaches to me and my niece about how bad tea is for you, yet he is obese and drinks soda like there's no tomorrow. It's funny. My in laws still haven't figured out that I'm not, and never will be, interested in converting. Or going to church/church functions.

I still don't get that one-I was told it has something to do with the tannin in tea. I was told it has to do with caffeine. and yet,I know Mormons who are anti tea n coffee but drink hot chocolate and there's caffeine in that,so...

In any case,I love my tea,hot,cold...and that tannin is just "preserving" me from the inside-lol ;)

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Let me cut back the quote tree first.

Well,You stated that the word of wisdom states that you should not consume hot beverages,but have not given a "why"-just the prophets told us so. Then you stated that it was following by blind faith,maybe a test from God. So I asked why only the Mormons? If I follow Jesus who is God incarnate,but I only follow the bible,to which no where in the bible or Jewish law (and yes-Jewish law,because once again,you have to remember that Jesus was raised in a Jewish household) does it state not to consume hot beverages. Why is God only testing those who follow the prophecy of John Smith? Why doesn't he test all Christians? Why don't any other denomination of Christianity have to follow the "no hot beverage" rule if this is a test from God?

If the bible is the word of God,why is the "don't s" only mentioned in the Book of Mormon?

(And yes-I know the whole backstory on John Smith,and even have gone far enough to research that if you place the core beliefs of Mormonism next to those of the Amish/Mennonite community-you will see they are basically the same. I know of his visit by Moroni,and the Golden plates that no one knows where they went "poof". There was a time my husband and I were shopping for a religion we could agree upon. We've had lessons with missionaries and in home teachings. But to be honest,all we found was a ton of contradictions. So yes,I fully admit I have an extremely hard time believing in what you believe and your  'extension" of the bible.)

I question a lot of things,even in my own walk of faith. But I look to the bible and find answers. And those answers have "reasons" behind them. When I look into the Book of Mormon all I find is contradiction and no answers. This is why we passed over your choice of faith and decided upon just becoming Jesus followers.

Anyhow.

Getting back to the original conversation of laws without reason (in this case "no hot beverages")-I can't grasp following a law that there is no reason behind other than a prophet said so. Just like a 2 year will ask "Why"...I want/need the why. All I'm asking for is someone to give me a genuine reason behind the "don't".

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm really not sure what you are asking. We follow the Book of Mormon, as well as the Bible. We also believe in modern day prophets. The Word of Wisdom is found in the Book of Mormon.

Quoting ZsMommy:

So why only "test" those who follow Mormonism?

Quoting Anonymous:

We have not been given a specific reason. The reasons I have seen mentioned in this thread are just speculation, that is why there is confusion. God has asked us to follow his counsel. We may not know understand why right now, but I am sure there is a good reason. Maybe he wants to test us.

RightSock
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

reading

Teeshann
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
To the person posting pics of garments. That is beyond disrespectful. They are not magic but sacred to lds members.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM

It's Joseph Smith, not John Smith...

I don't know what else to tell you. We believe that in order to receivet the fullness of the Gospel we need to believe in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. The prophets have never revealed a specific answer as to why the Word of Wisdom says what it does.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Well,You stated that the word of wisdom states that you should not consume hot beverages,but have not given a "why"-just the prophets told us so. Then you stated that it was following by blind faith,maybe a test from God. So I asked why only the Mormons? If I follow Jesus who is God incarnate,but I only follow the bible,to which no where in the bible or Jewish law (and yes-Jewish law,because once again,you have to remember that Jesus was raised in a Jewish household) does it state not to consume hot beverages. Why is God only testing those who follow the prophecy of John Smith? Why doesn't he test all Christians? Why don't any other denomination of Christianity have to follow the "no hot beverage" rule if this is a test from God?

If the bible is the word of God,why is the "don't s" only mentioned in the Book of Mormon?

(And yes-I know the whole backstory on John Smith,and even have gone far enough to research that if you place the core beliefs of Mormonism next to those of the Amish/Mennonite community-you will see they are basically the same. I know of his visit by Moroni,and the Golden plates that no one knows where they went "poof". There was a time my husband and I were shopping for a religion we could agree upon. We've had lessons with missionaries and in home teachings. But to be honest,all we found was a ton of contradictions. So yes,I fully admit I have an extremely hard time believing in what you believe and your  'extension" of the bible.)

I question a lot of things,even in my own walk of faith. But I look to the bible and find answers. And those answers have "reasons" behind them. When I look into the Book of Mormon all I find is contradiction and no answers. This is why we passed over your choice of faith and decided upon just becoming Jesus followers.

Anyhow.

Getting back to the original conversation of laws without reason (in this case "no hot beverages")-I can't grasp following a law that there is no reason behind other than a prophet said so. Just like a 2 year will ask "Why"...I want/need the why. All I'm asking for is someone to give me a genuine reason behind the "don't".

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm really not sure what you are asking. We follow the Book of Mormon, as well as the Bible. We also believe in modern day prophets. The Word of Wisdom is found in the Book of Mormon.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

We have not been given a specific reason. The reasons I have seen mentioned in this thread are just speculation, that is why there is confusion. God has asked us to follow his counsel. We may not know understand why right now, but I am sure there is a good reason. Maybe he wants to test us.

ZsMommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My mistake on the name oops-I knew 'who"-just typed the incorrect name. (in my defense-getting over the flu)

Different question (seriously-I'm trying to better understand the views of the LDS vs all other forms of Christianity.)

If you're a Christian,and I'm a Christian,but I don't believe in the book of Mormon,that I strictly follow the teachings of the bible,does that make me an incomplete Christian? Does it make me a false Christian?

Why is the Book of Mormon sacred?

(Legit questions-Help me understand)

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know what else to tell you. We believe that in order to receivet the fullness of the Gospel we need to believe in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. The prophets have never revealed a specific answer as to why the Word of Wisdom says what it does.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Anyhow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

We believe that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. So, ideally, (as I personally believe) people should use both. Using strictly the Bible will not make you any less Christian but there are certain things we believe in that other religions do not have. We believe that, in order to reach the highest degree of glory, one must go through the temple and make sacred covenants to the Lord. We also believe families can be sealed in our temples so they will be together in the afterlife.

Quoting ZsMommy:

My mistake on the name oops-I knew 'who"-just typed the incorrect name. (in my defense-getting over the flu)

Different question (seriously-I'm trying to better understand the views of the LDS vs all other forms of Christianity.)

If you're a Christian,and I'm a Christian,but I don't believe in the book of Mormon,that I strictly follow the teachings of the bible,does that make me an incomplete Christian? Does it make me a false Christian?

Why is the Book of Mormon sacred?

(Legit questions-Help me understand)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Anyhow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)