Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

s/o of wic and breastfeeding post

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
4 moms liked this

Am i the only one who sees breastfeeding as a women's rights issue? My body my choice ring a bell to anyone? If they can force women to breastfeed then they can force them to carry a pregnancy they may not want to, then they can force them to birth a certain way, and so on until we no longer have any say over our reproductive organs and mammory glands. 

* before the bashing begins i have exclusively breastfed 3 children and am trained in lactation through la leche league BUT i still dont think we should force anyone to do something with their body that they dont want to do or feel comfortable doing. to me, its better to inform, education, normalize and hope that we set a positive trend* 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommaof6bo
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Right on!
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

No one is forcing anything, WIC isn't mandatory.

IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Exactly.  I have always felt that how a mom feeds her baby is her business.  My oldest would not bf.  At all.  No matter what I did, it wouldn't happen.  So, with my younger child, I made the decision to ff.  When I got home from the hospital, I tried again to bf, and she did it.  So, I did both.

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

pce68
by Patti on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

If WIC is so pro-breastfeeding then why did they keep offering me formula when my dd was little?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
And here we go again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you are being forced.   You could buy your own damn formula.

goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Agreed with how someone feeds their baby is their business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

no but they cant rightly say "we wont let your baby starve as long as you prove that you legitimately cannot breastfeed because of health issues. diagnosing all those issues would cost more than the formula, put the babies at risk while they are underfed to prove it, and imagine the place it puts a mom who's skin might be crawling at the thought of nursing? its not mandatory but it is there to HELP those who need it. 

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM

In my experience they do differ from office to office as far as how dedicated to breastfeeding support and education they are. My statement was only in reference to the other post saying that you should only be offered formula if you can prove you are unable to breastfeed. 

Quoting pce68:

If WIC is so pro-breastfeeding then why did they keep offering me formula when my dd was little?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured