Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've ran into a problem with my chubby DD and swimming

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 66 Replies

I have a chubby little girly who is almost 14 months. She loves to play in the water and kick and splash. Last summer, she was teeny tiny and we had a lady bug floaty that she sat in. But shes over the weight limit. The weight limit on everything i find is 20/25 pounds and shes at 28.9 pounds...Not too much over the 25 pound limit but with it being in the water it scares me :\ My friend had one and the patch torn off after being used too much so if she weighs to much and is in it alot...whats going to stop it from breaking? So i started looking into those arm floaties and shes too far under the weight limit on those to use them...And life jackets...i can find that start at 30 pounds...but they are HUGE on her and what if she flips over? She doesn't have the stregnth (or know how to) flip back over. (No, i don't plan on letting her get far from me at all...But it just takes a second!)

YES, i know theres a whole bunch of what ifs, but this is my lil baby and even a little water could make her drowned so i want to be super safe...

I REALLY want one that she can sit in...The age limit on them is like 2 and 3 but shes just too big as far as weight goes...

Anybody have any ideas on what to do? 

This is the life jacket i was looking at...but i still feel like if she flipped it could drowned her or scare the hell out of her so she never wants to swim again

http://www.afterschool.com/p/disney-princess-child-life-jacket-380298?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_as&utm_term=YEV-5008&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1602951088&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sailorchu
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
If you're keeping her next to you and stay in the shallow end there isn't that big of an issue.

But I'm just assuming she isn't swimming in the pool alone.
Mommytoaangel
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Look in to were the life jacket is built in i had one for my god son he was a biggg boy at ur dds age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WashingtonMom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I actually found a floaty boat with secure seating that goes up to 36 lbs. DD was always over the top for height and around 75% for weight. Keep searching! 

Also, look for some swimming lessons, even this early. That might help with drowning fears. 

zeenah
by Zarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I bought this idr the name of it but it fits 9-24 months so I'm sure your dd won't be over. Dd used it last year and she will this year. She's 16 mos and 23lbs.  

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I just held my kiddies in the pool but look up infant life preserver they make them for up to 50 pounds or something like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM
7 moms liked this

are you shoving her off an island in it, to set sail alone? even if it gets a hole, it wont drop like a stone immediately. there will be plenty of time for you to get her out of it as long as you are beside her.

WashingtonMom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

And this: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=452925394786330

You can probably find something similar in your area. 

areyouatroll
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this
She shouldn't be out of arms reach anyway so it doesn't matter.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I live on the lake. I've gone through mannnny floaties.. These have been my favorite and worked best though. And have really lasted. The weight is 60lbs. My daughter started using hers at 20lbs. I got them at Wal-Mart. My 17 month old will get one this year. I'll probably replace my other daughter's as well. My son I'll have to find something new, he's reached the limit.
SJG1013
by SJG on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Mobile Photo

?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)