Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She was finally ready, and I took care of it!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My 10 year old is half Filipina. And 25 Italian, and 25 german. 

I have a very hairy little girl :( 

But, she is only 10. And has never shown a real interest in shaving, even her mustache, which unfortunately looks just like her fathers, which is a short fu manchu style. :( 

But, she didnt care. all through K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade. 

But she came to me tonight. And said she was tired of having a boys mustache. 

So we sat down in the bathroom with my electric razor, and we got rid of it. And i promised her i would get her an electric razor of her very own. its time she shave her legs too anyway. 

She is so happy, i can see it in her eyes :)

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Seriously i dont get it either. 

She is excited to get her own shaver. She doest want to wax, and i dont feel confident that she is ready for a blade yet. so this was the best option i felt. ive used electric for YEARS. and my hair is the same as it was as a teen lol. 

Quoting Kaybean:

I would have done the same. I don't see why anyone would make a big deal about it.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

That just doesn't make sense to me. It seems like she would care about her face first. Did she get scared after the leg incident?

Quoting Anonymous:

ok what exactly is your problem?? 

Quoting littlesippycup:

so she didn't care about her stache but y'all did her legs a few months ago.....

Quoting Anonymous:

....she preferred the electric razor...

why the hostility over it? seriously? 

I would rather use my electric razor than rip my hair and top few layers of skin off...

or is nair the one where chemicals burn the hair out of the root and then you scrape it off and wash? cause she got a rash from that when we tried it on her legs a few months ago. 

Quoting littlesippycup:

damn use some nair....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Yeah, its the sally hansen ones, you warm them between your hands and then use it like tape. i dont know if it will work all that great, but it would be good for her to test out before deciding on wax when she is older 

besides, i am actually not sure if a parlor would even do a 10 year old would they??? 

Quoting NNB:

Aw that's a shame, at least you have them so when she is ready she can really try :)

Quoting Anonymous:

she is afraid of it. i bought her the strips and she refused to even try them. 

Quoting NNB:

use wax or something, im sure that way it will only grow back thicker and darker, wax strips, although painful will be needed less and if used for 10 years thin and slow the hair growth...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM

No, we live in texas, and last summer she noticed that a lot of the girls who were more fair than her, seemed to have no leg hair (they did, just fine and blonde lol) and she wanted to look like that too. im not entirely sure why her lip never bothered her before. 

Quoting littlesippycup:

That just doesn't make sense to me. It seems like she would care about her face first. Did she get scared after the leg incident?

Quoting Anonymous:

ok what exactly is your problem?? 

Quoting littlesippycup:

so she didn't care about her stache but y'all did her legs a few months ago.....

Quoting Anonymous:

I would rather use my electric razor than rip my hair and top few layers of skin off...

or is nair the one where chemicals burn the hair out of the root and then you scrape it off and wash? cause she got a rash from that when we tried it on her legs a few months ago. 

Quoting littlesippycup:

damn use some nair....

ChillyinAlaska
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:55 AM

They have a Nair specifically for face, it's actually very gentle, and works. I've used it on my own face, I'm a quarter Italian, have peach fuzz. Works fine for me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting littlesippycup:

damn use some nair....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this

It only looks thicker and darker because you're looking at the cut hair, the thickest part of the hair, growing back in. The hair follicle does not change from shaving. 

Quoting deskorcasmomma:

It is not an old wives tale.
Just because it is not true for some people dose not mean it is not true for others.
Any time is shave any part of my body it always comes back thicker and darker

Quoting areles:

get ready for an influx of 'it'll grow back thicker' wives tale responses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

She'll wax eventually.

I am 27 years old and usually shave my own lip hair.  My skin reacts badly to waxing.... I got a flipping patch of thick hair on my neck with my first pregnancy, and it's never gone away.  I shave it now, because a couple bad waxings made the skin so red and irritated.

FWIW, I didn't shave it when Iw as a kid.  I was so humiliated to even have it that I thought doing anything about it would make me stand out even more.  :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Yeah im sure she will. 

I didnt shave until middle school when the girls in the locker room taught me how :( i was so embarrassed. but they understood. I was the 'abused kid' in school all my life, and they knew my mom didnt even have time to feed me let alone teach me to shave lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She'll wax eventually.

I am 27 years old and usually shave my own lip hair.  My skin reacts badly to waxing.... I got a flipping patch of thick hair on my neck with my first pregnancy, and it's never gone away.  I shave it now, because a couple bad waxings made the skin so red and irritated.

FWIW, I didn't shave it when Iw as a kid.  I was so humiliated to even have it that I thought doing anything about it would make me stand out even more.  :(

deskorcasmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this
But it is still thick and darker. That is the part that people see.

Quoting Anonymous:

It only looks thicker and darker because you're looking at the cut hair, the thickest part of the hair, growing back in. The hair follicle does not change from shaving. 

Quoting deskorcasmomma:

It is not an old wives tale.

Just because it is not true for some people dose not mean it is not true for others.

Any time is shave any part of my body it always comes back thicker and darker

Quoting areles:

get ready for an influx of 'it'll grow back thicker' wives tale responses.

NNB
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

I have no idea, I'm not American so I don't know if they'd allow that, I use wax strips too, warm between the hands and then pull like tape, once a month, they work great!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, its the sally hansen ones, you warm them between your hands and then use it like tape. i dont know if it will work all that great, but it would be good for her to test out before deciding on wax when she is older 

besides, i am actually not sure if a parlor would even do a 10 year old would they??? 

Quoting NNB:

Aw that's a shame, at least you have them so when she is ready she can really try :)

Quoting Anonymous:

she is afraid of it. i bought her the strips and she refused to even try them. 

Quoting NNB:

use wax or something, im sure that way it will only grow back thicker and darker, wax strips, although painful will be needed less and if used for 10 years thin and slow the hair growth...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)