Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just don't understand why people do this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When going into the military why do people always tend to get married and have kids? You are more than likely going away for long periods of time. I know women who plan babies and then their SO leaves for basic or goes on tour and there you are being a single mom to raise a child alone and it won't know their dad. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I 110% support our groups but why do that to yourself, and the baby? Money? Housing? What? Why not wait to make those commitments until after you're doing with your military duties?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Nah. That isn't what I said.

Quoting marinenonstop:

So those who are career military should be single and childless?

armywifey26
by Krissy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

For the same reason anybody gets married and has kids. We loved each other and wanted a family. Yes, I would be raising my kids by myself a lot of the times and that was something we talked about before we had kids. I don't have a problem with it. Just because their father is gone sometimes does not mean he is not in their lives. And how long should I have waited you think? Until he retired? That's 20 years from when he joined. That is a very long time to wait to have a family 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand why you can't elaborate since you're coming from a military lifestyle? Why get married and get pregnant knowing you'd be raising the family alone for a while? It didn't seem smarter to wait?

Quoting armywifey26:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Most do it for the benefits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Because the sad reality of the fact is that you might not come back from a deployment. They get married because they love each other they arnt getting married just to do it. and as far as getting pregnant sometimes it just happens that way. It has nothing to do with money. Its not that great to start with. And housing is defiantly not that great if you are living on base. And sometimes they decide that they are going to make a career out of it and are in until they retire. So are they supposed to wait to start a family until they are in their 30-40??? Im totally not trying to come off bitchy if iam, Iam really sorry.

But think about it this way If your husband decided to join the military and came home after he did (because thats what happened with me and my husband) wouldnt you want to have a piece of him if something were to happen to him. We didnt get pregnant right away and we are still trying he no longer is in and Im thankful that he is home and health. We tried and tried and tried and 10 years later we are still trying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Lets make a whole list of ages and situations in life where in your opinion OP people shouldn't get pregnant then lets ban the shit out of it
Rhodin
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lucydiamond:

Oh man. I'll get the popcorn.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:28 AM

My dad was in the Air Force for 20 years. Had they waited until he was done being in the military then my parents wouldn't have had any kids. Does that mean that people who choose to serve don't deserve a family?

marinenonstop
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Actually that is what you said. You said to wait until their military duties are fulfilled... so those that are career military or "lifers" should be alone? Because their obligations won't be met until they retire.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nah. That isn't what I said.

Quoting marinenonstop:

So those who are career military should be single and childless?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM
My older brother served 4 years in the marine corps, and my little brother is currently on his 7th year of the army.

This reason is why my older bro didn't get married until after he got out and also why my younger bro is still single.
glitterlove100
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM

THHHHIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think its kind of disrespectful

Quoting veronica7926:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN