Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just don't understand why people do this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When going into the military why do people always tend to get married and have kids? You are more than likely going away for long periods of time. I know women who plan babies and then their SO leaves for basic or goes on tour and there you are being a single mom to raise a child alone and it won't know their dad. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I 110% support our groups but why do that to yourself, and the baby? Money? Housing? What? Why not wait to make those commitments until after you're doing with your military duties?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I don't think our military pay structure was designed to support newly enlisted who are married, much less with children.  However I do understand the psychological desire for men and women in the military to have some kind of home/family support, especially while deployed.  Those who decide to be career military understand that long separation from family is just part of the job.  The military is not the only career field that requires separation from family.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:29 AM

My DH went from reserves to active duty after we had kids. Yes he was gone a lot  but I was not a single mom. He is now disabled. But guess what? My dad was disabled at work as well, not in the military, so it can happen to anyone.

And no, the money and housing had nothing to do with it. I don't know anyone who has a military spouse for the money and the housing.

smurfbitebug
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Mobile Photo

barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM
3 moms liked this

You most likely will not understand ever. When my husband deployed he was still there for me emotionally and the kids knew who he was when he came home. There are ways today that we can keep in contact with them.

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm right behind you.

Quoting armywifey26:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Popcorn!!!!

Quoting Rhodin:

Quoting lucydiamond:

Oh man. I'll get the popcorn.

littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Mom..what are you doing on cafemom?? We already had this talk when I told you I was pregnant with our second baby.

It is our life and we'll live it how we see fit, not you. 

Besides that, DH is making a career out of the military, I don't fancy having children at 45 years old.

(okay I know you're not my mom, but you sound just as stupid as she does every time she has that conversation with me)

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Because being a single mom, temporarily, for the betterment of your family and others is that big a damn deal, lol.

Silly OP.  Go to bed.

armywifey26
by Krissy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Now that is my kind of popcorn! :D

Quoting Rhodin:

Quoting lucydiamond:

Oh man. I'll get the popcorn.

bi-polarmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

you are saying that people should wait until they get out of the military to marry and have children, logic dictates that if you wait until you are out for such things, you are single and childless while you are in, and if you are in for life, then you are single and childless for life

so yes, that is exactly what you said

Quoting Anonymous:

Nah. That isn't what I said.

Quoting marinenonstop:

So those who are career military should be single and childless?

Come join me at Multi-Generational Special Needs Households, a place for moms dealing with 2 or more generations of special needs under one roof

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118250/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)