Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just don't understand why people do this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When going into the military why do people always tend to get married and have kids? You are more than likely going away for long periods of time. I know women who plan babies and then their SO leaves for basic or goes on tour and there you are being a single mom to raise a child alone and it won't know their dad. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I 110% support our groups but why do that to yourself, and the baby? Money? Housing? What? Why not wait to make those commitments until after you're doing with your military duties?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
marinenonstop
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Assuming he retires at 20 yrs.

Quoting armywifey26:

For the same reason anybody gets married and has kids. We loved each other and wanted a family. Yes, I would be raising my kids by myself a lot of the times and that was something we talked about before we had kids. I don't have a problem with it. Just because their father is gone sometimes does not mean he is not in their lives. And how long should I have waited you think? Until he retired? That's 20 years from when he joined. That is a very long time to wait to have a family 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand why you can't elaborate since you're coming from a military lifestyle? Why get married and get pregnant knowing you'd be raising the family alone for a while? It didn't seem smarter to wait?

Quoting armywifey26:

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow,I had no idea I was a single mom! Damn,I wish I would have known that when I filed my taxes!

My husband is career military....he's a captain in the Air Force.He's been deployed once,but he's usually home by 5,6 on weekdays. He's an amazing husband and father.He is the greatest man I've ever met in my entire life and even if,God forbid,he deploys one day and doesn't come home,I would still be grateful for the time we had together.Even if I knew we wouldn't have a lot of time together,I would have still married him and had kids with him because I would have rather have had a few short years with him than nothing at all.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

bi-polarmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM

why he no have oil drum of soda with that much popcorn?

Quoting Rhodin:

Quoting lucydiamond:

Oh man. I'll get the popcorn.

Come join me at Multi-Generational Special Needs Households, a place for moms dealing with 2 or more generations of special needs under one roof

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118250/

armywifey26
by Krissy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM

That too. He only has 6 more years left. 

Quoting marinenonstop:

Assuming he retires at 20 yrs.

armywifey26
by Krissy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Right? The popcorn to drink ratio is highly inaccurate. I hope he gets free refills 

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

Quoting Rhodin:

Quoting lucydiamond:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
You know what you're getting into when you join or marry into the life style.
And I think most military families can agree that they aren't going to put their lives on hold for the military. You sacrifice enough going in, a family doesn't have to be one of those things!
glitterlove100
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Why does anyone get married??? If my dad would have waited my parents probably wouldnt have gotten married and my sisters and I wouldnt be here. I wouldnt be married to my dh, my cousin wouldnt be married to her dh. We didnt get married for benefits, housing or money, housing can suck if your on base, money isnt always that great, and benefits are hella confusing until you get the hang of how shit works. Im sorry but you in my option have made yourself sound like an ass and honestly your post is pretty disrespectful to all military families.

JustaGirl13
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

The reason most of us do not wait is because if they chose to be a lifer we would be to old to have a baby. well at least I would be. We didn't plan to have our kids. We let nature do its thing. I understand what your saying I do. But at the same time being Military we have to plan ahead of time. Some of us have spent years planning a wedding to only get orders for a deployment to which we are then stuck getting a proxy marriage.

I was a single mom before I met my amazing husband and this is NOTHING like being a single parent and it pisses me off for people to say that it is. While when our kids were born it wasnt the most amazing timing I still wouldn't regret it ever. You say that their children do not know their dad then that is only the fault of the mother (only possibly the father if he didnt even attempt to talk to them). All of our children know who their father is I make sure to go over photos and we have books that he recorded for them. He talks to them on the phone and on skype even though they are to young to understand. They still see his face and know that he is in their life.

I have also known guys who freeze their sperm for their wives in the event that the unthinkable happens. That way they will be able to have a child with the man they married. 

I do hope that I have helped you understand some of the what and whys.

marinenonstop
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Rehydrate or die!

Quoting armywifey26:

Right? The popcorn to drink ratio is highly inaccurate. I hope he gets free refills 

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

Quoting Rhodin:

Quoting lucydiamond:

MissGore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM

well, i'm 35 weeks today with our first, and dh has been in the military for 8 years, planning on another 12. She will be 3 months when he deploys next. so should i just abort my baby and leave him to save your tiny mind the burden that families like this exist?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)