Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just don't understand why people do this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When going into the military why do people always tend to get married and have kids? You are more than likely going away for long periods of time. I know women who plan babies and then their SO leaves for basic or goes on tour and there you are being a single mom to raise a child alone and it won't know their dad. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I 110% support our groups but why do that to yourself, and the baby? Money? Housing? What? Why not wait to make those commitments until after you're doing with your military duties?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Replies (61-65):
glitterlove100
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this

lol im saving this so i can use it one day lol

Quoting Keara20:

Lmao!! I've been dying to use this all day and finally saw the perfect post hahahah

Quoting glitterlove100:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA love this!!!!!!!!

Quoting Keara20:

Mobile Photo

Xanbuttsmom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Because they want to that's why. If anyone deserves a family its the people out there fighting to make sure they have the best life.

Why do that to a baby? Do what exactly? Be born to a family of heroes. There are worse things. Those "single moms" work just as hard as their partners on the front lines. Sometimes its the family that they have that keeps them out there fighting for yours.

Go to bed.
SilverOcean84
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Wow just wow. You got it all wrong and this is coming from a mother of 3 who was in the Army and left only 2 years ago (I cant believe its already been 2 years). I joined when I was in year 6 of my marriage (I ended up getting divorce papers in the mail after I got to my duty station but thats another story) and my daughter was only 4. Yes I spent about 8 months just in training alone but I did go home a few times during my training for holidays. Once I got to my duty station it was almost like a regular 9-5 job. My day would start off with morning formation at 6am  then PT (physical training)from 6:30am till 7:30am. Then I would report to my office at 9am till lunch which lasted an hour and finally go home around 4:30/5pm. There were times I had to do 24 hour (up for 24 hours no sleeping!) guard duty known as CQ/staff duty. There was also times where the unit had to do what is called field exercises where they go off someplace for a few days up to a month depending of the scenario. Deployments normally last a year but the soldier gets 2 weeks of R&R to be home and they can use skype while on deployment. Saying children wont know their parent if they are military is completely untrue unless the child happen to be born during a deployment (a birth can now be skyped to the deployed soldier as most military hospitals are now offering this). The money isnt good but not bad and I tell everyone to get a place off post because its better and they wont take your whole BAH like housing on post does. There are some people who stay in for 20+ years and it would be unfair to tell them to wait till they are done to have a family. Having a family/SO is the best thing for a soldier because its someone to turn to when you need help emotionally. Being a soldier takes a very strong person not only in body but mind as well and sometimes they just need to lean on someone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I've never heard from a woman/mother in the military. Idk how you do it. 

Quoting SilverOcean84:

Wow just wow. You got it all wrong and this is coming from a mother of 3 who was in the Army and left only 2 years ago (I cant believe its already been 2 years). I joined when I was in year 6 of my marriage (I ended up getting divorce papers in the mail after I got to my duty station but thats another story) and my daughter was only 4. Yes I spent about 8 months just in training alone but I did go home a few times during my training for holidays. Once I got to my duty station it was almost like a regular 9-5 job. My day would start off with morning formation at 6am  then PT (physical training)from 6:30am till 7:30am. Then I would report to my office at 9am till lunch which lasted an hour and finally go home around 4:30/5pm. There were times I had to do 24 hour (up for 24 hours no sleeping!) guard duty known as CQ/staff duty. There was also times where the unit had to do what is called field exercises where they go off someplace for a few days up to a month depending of the scenario. Deployments normally last a year but the soldier gets 2 weeks of R&R to be home and they can use skype while on deployment. Saying children wont know their parent if they are military is completely untrue unless the child happen to be born during a deployment (a birth can now be skyped to the deployed soldier as most military hospitals are now offering this). The money isnt good but not bad and I tell everyone to get a place off post because its better and they wont take your whole BAH like housing on post does. There are some people who stay in for 20+ years and it would be unfair to tell them to wait till they are done to have a family. Having a family/SO is the best thing for a soldier because its someone to turn to when you need help emotionally. Being a soldier takes a very strong person not only in body but mind as well and sometimes they just need to lean on someone.

SilverOcean84
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM

It was very hard at first to leave my daughter and at the time husband. I told my daughter that the Army was mommy's job and it means I could be gone a little but not forever. I wrote when I had the chance and kept pictures in my wall locker. I even had gotten a chance to call home a few times (out of 12 weeks I got 3 phone calls) during basic training. I even have friends who are still in and they happen to be single mothers and active duty. As long as they have a parenting plan in place and presented to their commander then they dont have to leave the military. I never deployed, I got out as my unit was about to start what is called "the road to war" which is training just before going over seas. I wont be able to tell you how hard it is on families but I can say my heart jumped every time I heard something since my unit was like a family. Sadly my unit had lost 3 soldiers to a road side bomb just 19 days in.

Now there are some people who enter in the military then get married right away just so they dont have to live in the barraks and they get a little extra money while the spouse would get the medical benifits and some education and thats called a contract marraige. Those are frowned upon big time in the military but it happens.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've never heard from a woman/mother in the military. Idk how you do it. 

Quoting SilverOcean84:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)