Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Go To The School or Go To The Parents????

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD is in Kindergarten & rides the bus to school.  She has bee excited about school until the last couple weeks.  Now, she cries & says she doesn't want to go.  I've asked her & asked her why with no real response...until last night.  She told me that a group of kids are being mean to her (not hitting, but yelling at her & calling her names-basic teasing) on the bus.  She didn't know their names, so I called a friend of mine & asked her to ask her DD who these kids were.  The other little girl confirmed my DD's story but also gave names of kids.  All of these kids are much older than my dd-from 2nd to 4th grade.  I'm ready to freak out on these little twits as well as the bus driver.  BUT I think I may go to the kid's houses & talk to their parents (I know where most of them live) rather than go through the school.  I would like to think that if I go to their parents & say "Your 8 year old son is picking on my 5 year old DD" I may get better results than calling the school to complain & have my complaint lost in the shuffle.  What would you do?  School? or Parents?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
Lorik1969
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Most likely, yes. Parents can be a crapshoot. Most of them will believe their little angel who swears she never even talks to the other girl.

Quoting raegansmom:

Why do you say school?  Do you think they will handle it better than the parents?

Quoting funnygirlecu:

school

gabrielsmommy04
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
4 moms liked this

ok i used to teach so heres my advice.  And trust me as a mother I feel your pain. Talk to the bus driver and the bus supervisor first get a report written up. The kids should face some kind of consquences like a warning then 3 days off the bus etc. After you notify the bus people notify your child's teacher. I would not approach the parents unless the school initiates it. Because it could cause problems for you as it would become thieir word against yours and they could turn the story around. make sure the bus driver writes up a report and i would speak to the supervisor as well and if they don't do anything then keep going up to higher school officals. But don't approach the parents. good luck if you have any other questions pm me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I would go to the school. Why? Because honestly, if some parent came to my door about my kid doing something like this, I would laugh in your face.
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
School. The bus is to get them to school so they need to handle it. The parents could do anything and even encourage their child to continue bullying. If the school intervenes there is a record.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Talk to the parents. If my dd (10) was picking on a kindergartner, I'd want to know. The school may or may not inform the parents. I think you'll get better results that way. It would be better for you to do it nicely rather than meanly though. The kids know better, and they need to know there is consequences for their actions.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Complain to the principal and the bus driver.  Drive the kid to school until these bullies are taken care of.

raegansmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:27 AM

the bus driver is useless!  I had to go on the bus earlier this year because one of these same kids was trying to kiss my DD.  I got on the bus, told the bus driver that he could handle this or I can, but it will be handled!  Things were better for a little while, but overall he lets the kids run wild on the bus.  this is his first year driving.

Quoting gabrielsmommy04:

ok i used to teach so heres my advice.  And trust me as a mother I feel your pain. Talk to the bus driver and the bus supervisor first get a report written up. The kids should face some kind of consquences like a warning then 3 days off the bus etc. After you notify the bus people notify your child's teacher. I would not approach the parents unless the school initiates it. Because it could cause problems for you as it would become thieir word against yours and they could turn the story around. make sure the bus driver writes up a report and i would speak to the supervisor as well and if they don't do anything then keep going up to higher school officals. But don't approach the parents. good luck if you have any other questions pm me.

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:27 AM

In this case I would talk to the parents myself.

Quoting raegansmom:

That's kind of how I feel about it.  Heck, 3 of these boys have been at my house before to play!  If I contact the school, DD is just a name & maybe it will be handled?  Maybe it won't?  I would like to think that if I go to the parents and explain DD's side of things they will be more apt to talk to their own child, probably while we are still in their driveway.  I will even explain to the parents, "Look, if the roles were reversed, I would rather someone come to straight to me so I can take care of the problem.  I want to extend you the same courtesy."

Quoting Anonymous:

Hell at that young of age? I'd go with the parents... When the parent is confronted most likely the consequence is thrown right then and there. If you take it to the school, they'll just coddle the situation then seriously address it. I would notify the school for bullying on the bus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:28 AM

School and/or bus transportation.

ChevronOwls
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Parents. You will get NOTHING accomplished through the school.

With the parents you have a 50/50 chance at least lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)