Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to clean their room?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 309 Replies
1 mom liked this

This has been a family debate. Some say: 2 years old they can get into the routine, some think it should be 4, and others think it is the responsibility of the parent until the child is much older (like grade school/high school).

So when did you teach yours (or when do you plan to)?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
10 moms liked this

2......  they can pick up toys and help out with mommy and daddy.

GLO682
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

my kids are 5 & 8. i don't expect them to clean up the way that i would but i expect them to pick up after themselves and they make their own beds. if they take toys out, they put them back. they have been doing this for quite a while. they do have small chores and more than likely i have to clean up their room after they "Clean" anyhow but the point is to teach them responsibility.

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has been picking up his toys with me since he could grasp his toys. He is now four and we still pick up his room together at the end of the day. Getting him to do it on his own is a battle but if I help he will clean up his room. 

CutieCrab
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

2. Maybe even younger.  Just they need help.  Before I would make it into a game. My son is 5 now and can clean his own room.

Cmgmqmmom
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We have been "cleaning" their rooms together since they were mobil. I don't expect a baby to clean alone, but you can teach your kids to pick up their toys as soon as they can walk.

My boys are now 4&6 and they clean their rooms. I usually help them, but they have gotten really good at cleaning it so I will touch up afterwards if it needs it.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM

They have been helping since they were mobile.  Putting toys in baskets, mostly.  Then they graduated to dusting, making their bed every day.  I don't let them vaccum because they enjoy attempting to suck stuff up (I have a 9 year old boy), and they aren't so good with changing sheets, but they do keep their stuff picked up, make their beds every day and dust weekly.

Chicanakids4eva
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM
My 2 year old and 6 year old share a room and yes they both clean...no doubt i have to monitor them and help them by showing where the stuff goes but all in all they are able to get the job done and are very proud of themselves at what they have accomplished :)
lcappytan05
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this

My son has been cleaning his room since he was about 12 months or so. Of course I would help him, but he was taught to help put his toys away. He's 3.5 now and all I have to say is, "Clean up" and he'll go clean his room and put all his toys away. I think if you instill a routine in them early on, there wont be an issue with it later...it will just be natural for them.

jcrenshawswifey
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM

2 years old is old enough to help clean their rooms. By 5 or 6 they should be able to do it by themselves. I have a 2 yr old, 6 yr old and 8 month old. 

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM

They are taught to put things back from the moment they can understand and walk to do it. Obviously I help that young but personal responsibility is always taught. My 4 and 6 year olds are responsible for cleaning their rooms themselves. They know where everything goes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)