Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this disrespectful?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 126 Replies
I don't always answer my son. He talks all day. He never shuts up, lol. So if I'm doing something important, like homework, and he's just rambling on like he does (he just word-vomits every thought that pops into his head...'i'm talking to the cat. here comes the dog! hi groogrux king! let's play with the bubbles. the bubbles are going up in the air...').

so today he's chattering on and i'm working on a paper and then i heard him say 'you know, mommmy?' so i answered 'uh-huh.' because i wasnt really sure what he said...so he was like 'did you hear me?' so i said "not really. can you say it again?" and he asked "why arent you listening?" so i explained...for the millionth time this morning "I am doing homework. i can talk to you after the movie is over." so then he said "then why did you say 'uh-huh?'" So I'm like "I dont know. It was just automatic. Quite finding reasons to chatter. We'll talk after the movie." And he shrugged and said okay and sat down.

so i'm laughing about this on the phone with my grandmother who of course, since i mentioned homework (she's disappointed i'm so dedicated to school and won't become a secretary or school librarian or something) finds something wrong with the conversation. "You're so busy with homework he's becoming disrespectful."

What was disrespectful about him asking me why I answered him if I hadn't really heard him? Would you count it as disrespectful? I take the reason a kid is asking something into account. I expect my kid to do what I tell him and whatnot, but if he has a question and is genuinely asking, he can ask. It all depend on tone and reason over here. What about you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kool_Aide
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

It wasn't disrespectful at all

CutieCrab
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

No he wasn't being disrespectful...  But you should be paying more attention to him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

You always sound so put out by normal childhood behavior. No one listens to everything their 5 year old says, that's normal but I hate the way you always talk about him. I hope he doesn't grow up feeling like he's a huge inconvenience to you because that's how you talk about him. Granted this is the internet so we can all only hope that this isn't the way you are in real life. I'm not coming in to your posts anymore because they make me so sad.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Well, you'll be missed. I guess?

But what did I do here that makes you sad? I type like I speak-very dry, very matter of fact.

Quoting Anonymous:

You always sound so put out by normal childhood behavior. No one listens to everything their 5 year old says, that's normal but I hate the way you always talk about him. I hope he doesn't grow up feeling like he's a huge inconvenience to you because that's how you talk about him. Granted this is the internet so we can all only hope that this isn't the way you are in real life. I'm not coming in to your posts anymore because they make me so sad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Paying more attention? We talked all through breakfast. But I can't have a conversation with my son every time he says something. Nothing would get done, ever. He talks NONSTOP. When we used to put him in time out he would talk to the walls.

Quoting CutieCrab:

No he wasn't being disrespectful...  But you should be paying more attention to him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM
That's what I'm thinking. He was just asking. I mean, it was valid. I do it all the time. I don't hear well, so my husband will say something and I'll know SOMETHING was said but I didn't quite catch it...so I'll say "yeah" or "uh-huh" and then two seconds later say "Wait...what?"

Quoting Kool_Aide:

It wasn't disrespectful at all

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I feel you were being disrespectful by not listening to your son. I am a believer that when someone is talking to you, you listen.
Two_Hearts
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I can kind of see where she is coming from ...

For him to question you about what your actions were , is not something a child should really do..at least not in the way that he did it. 

LuLuThatsWho
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I feel sorry for him.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM
He wasn't really talking to me at first, though. He was just talking. And then he happened to say something that was more direct.

Do your kids talk all the time or do they play quietly? Because my son has friends who will sit there and play or watch a show without chattering so I could see why someone who doesn't have experience with a constant-talker would think its rude. My son says everything that pops into his head. My FIL used to think it was terrible that I tuned my son out sometimes. Then my son spent a weekend over there...and my FIL finally understood. H

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel you were being disrespectful by not listening to your son. I am a believer that when someone is talking to you, you listen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)