Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I cannot breath but I'm not giving away my kitten

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 30 Replies
We have had our kitten for a little over a week. Dh had to go to work sunday night so I was going to sleep in our bedroom. I laid down and the kitten curled up next to me. I woke up hecause I couldn't breath. I was having a damn asthma attack. I called the dr the next day and was told I have to get rid of lily. I said no so he told me to take claritin and keep my inhaler with me. I told dh what happended and he said the samething the dr did. I told him no I'm keeping lily.

*my asthma only acts up if I have a cold, in the summer and now pet dander. I have never had a cat or dog before so I didn't know the dander would make it act up*
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
My son has asthma and he takes singulair at night for allergies and two inhalers. We live with my inlaws right now and there are 4 dogs. He is doing just fine. Maybe your doc could prescribe for you the singulair (sp?)? His inhalers that he takes are albuterol and Qvar.
imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
How do I keep the dander down?
Kmcasey9
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My aunt has severe asthma, but she had 3 cats who she ADORED!  She would get allergy shots in order to be able to function with them in the house.  Maybe your insurance would cover that?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

*breathe*

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I use to use qvar but I'm onky on albuterol. When I was younger I was on 8 inhalers at once

Quoting Anonymous:

My son has asthma and he takes singulair at night for allergies and two inhalers. We live with my inlaws right now and there are 4 dogs. He is doing just fine. Maybe your doc could prescribe for you the singulair (sp?)? His inhalers that he takes are albuterol and Qvar.

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I will call and see...I hate shots though

Quoting Kmcasey9:

My aunt has severe asthma, but she had 3 cats who she ADORED!  She would get allergy shots in order to be able to function with them in the house.  Maybe your insurance would cover that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep the cat would go. I have asthma. I do not like the feeling of not being able to breathe. Kittens are only cute for a little bit uthen they are just ugly irritating things.

but hey if you want to take meds every day and have to pack the inhaler around Great.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Honestly we just vacuum. We don't do a whole lot to keep the dander down. However, we do not allow the animals to sleep with him. They are also not allowed in his bedroom.

Quoting imakehimscream:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Get an air purifier for your bedroom and whatever room in the house you spend the most time in. I'm mildly allergic to pet dander and between the air purifiers and taking Claritin every day I'm able to live peacefully with 2 dogs and a cat.

Quoting imakehimscream:

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I take meds everyday anyways. A couple more are not gonna kill me

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep the cat would go. I have asthma. I do not like the feeling of not being able to breathe. Kittens are only cute for a little bit uthen they are just ugly irritating things.

but hey if you want to take meds every day and have to pack the inhaler around Great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)