Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a neglectful mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
Apparently.

Never mind that my whole world is my kids. Never mind that I do everything I can to be sure they're happy, healthy, and safe. Never mind that my kids adore me.

My dumb ass husband told me last night I'm negligent and neglectful because the kids occasionally get injured while with me. Apparently, they shouldn't even get a scraped knee. What should I do? Wrap them in bubble wrap and make them sit still on the couch all day?? It's easy to say that the kids have never been hurt while with him when he only has them without me maybe 4 hours a WEEK.

Yesterday, after nap time my DD who is nearly 2 fell down the stairs. Now, here's what happened. When we came upstairs I closed the baby gate but DS needed his lovey from downstairs so I opened it again for him (he's 4 1/2). I tol him to close it back. I swear I heard it close. When DD woke up I took her from her crib and set her down in the hallway in front of her brothers room and told her to wake her brother (who was already awake but faking it for her, it's a game they play). Then I went to pee. They should have only had access to the bedrooms which are all baby safe. I thought the gate was closed! When I came out I was looking for them. I realized the baby gate was open and ran for it. Just as I came to the top of the stairs my DD lost her balance and slipped. She flipped to her tummy and slid down about 3 steps before hitting her elbow on the bannister and stopping. She immediately started to cry.

I snatched her up an held her until she stopped crying. Then I asked if she was okay. She nodded. So I checked her over. Not even a scratch. Nor even a red mark! I took her downstairs and held her until she no longer wanted to be held (so 20 mins?). Then I carefully watched her.

That is not a mistake I'll make twice. I told DH about it because I didn't want our DS to mention it and him not know. He blew up! Said I was negligent. That I'm neglectful. That they are always being injured with me. Then started listing all of the times the had. Like last week when the kids were playing outside and DD tripped and scraped her knee. When DS fell down at the park and hit his head which was nearly 2 years ago!

I'm so mad It's not even funny. I couldn't sleep last night because I was so mad! Do you think he's overreacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RJC78
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

He's definitely over reacting.  What an ass.

jenustin
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

kids fall and get hurt,that's what they do!!!  sorry he hurt your feelings

jacandjay
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
He sounds like a douchebag... Kids fall and they get hurf, they are kids.... Tell him to lighten up...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
He's crazy. You're fine.

I used to work at Babies'R'Us and I remember being awed at all the safety products. There were even foam things you stick around the edge of all your doors to keep little kids (not even toddlers, the way it was marketed was for young kids) from pinching a finger. They even had little things to put on feet to keep them from stubbing toes. I just remember thinking how crazy it was. No one wants their kid to get hurt, I understand, but freaking out over a scraped knee or stubbed toe is insane in my book.
LovelyMommy24
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
No need to explain mama, things happen. My two year old almost always has a bruise on her face from falling somewhere.. it's quite ridiculous actually and sometimes I feel idiotic that my two year old has this a lot and then I remember -- she's TWO and she's definitely my risk taker! Ignore him. You live and you learn! Yes, I do - I think he's lost his mind.
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Definitely.  My 2 year old fell down the stairs at my gmas house this weekend.  They are a really wide set and you cant get a gate across them.  The girls like to climb up and then slide down on their butts.  Well, one of them decided to stand up and she tripped.  She rolled longways like a hotdog down about 5.  She was totally fine, just scared.  Kids get hurt, it happens. 

babycrittermom
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Leave the kids with him for a day..he will see it's not as easy as he thinks. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I think having a toddler fall down an open baby gated stairs is neglectful.

not scraping their knee. bit difference.

MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Kids get hurt. It happens!
Momtogirls0823
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, jeez.  Yes, he is definitely overreacting.  Kids get hurt, it happens.  Your dd was fine, so he needs to take a chill pill.  I mean, it's not like you meant for it to happen!  I'm sorry he's being such an a**.  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)