Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this bother you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If your DH/SO/Fiancée constantly looked over your shoulder when you're on your phone? Mine does this a lot and it secretly annoys the hell out of me...more so because I'd never do that to him. I don't snoop. :/ Whenever someone texts me he says something like "Who's that?" Or "What's that about?" Or the recently added "Anything interesting?"
No. This is my phone. This is my space. What I'm talking about and who I'm talking to is my business, unless someone we mutually know texts me to ask something about him. Then it's his business.
Am I wrong?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Holy Christ, he's not that bad. That's just ridiculous.

Quoting katemckenzie:

If he heard the notification sound from across the room, he'd come running in like "you have a notification! Is it a message? Who is it?!"

Quoting Anonymous:

He'll tell me if I have a message too, but usually asks who it is.

Quoting katemckenzie:

My ex was the same way. It drove me nuts. I finally just stopped reading texts with him in the room. If I was on the laptop, and I had a Facebook message that I wasn't ready to read because I was busy reading something else, he'd be like, "Hey you have a message. You have a message. Are you gonna read that message? What if it's important?" Just because he wanted to read it.

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting JulieBoyd:

I wouldn't care, we both do it to each other so that's normal for me

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I try to monitor my phone use and be respectful of him. My nose isn't always in my phone. Maybe he sees it differently.

Quoting AnnLanders:

Are you always on your phone?  Maybe he's trying to give you the subtle hint to put the phone down and interact with him instead.

Tay06
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I don't mind my SO looking, but the constant staring and questioning would get annoying quick.  I would tell him how you feel.  Sounds like he has trust issues.  I was taught the ones who don't trust are usually the cheaters, but he could honestly just have trust issues period.

mamabearjkda
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My ex would do that, or he'll make snide remarks such as "You are popular today" got so annoyed with him I disconnected my phone service, of course he was also cheating on me as well and trying to find out if I knew anything or not and if I did know anything what I was plotting against him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I had a boyfriend years ago who would do that to me.  Eventually he took my phone and kept it with him until it was time for me to go to work.  When I told him that was bullshit, he turned it around and said I must be hiding something from him.  Right after that, the abuse started and that ended the "relationship".  Your SO is being controlling and he needs to get called on it.

KGreen75
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Depends on your relationship and what boundaries you have set.

In my marriage there is no privacy, there is no "my business, your business".  Everything is open.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I think he would be more bothered if that was the case. He fussed a bit but I had to open the texts and get into all his contacts to figure out how to fix it...I would think he'd be unwilling to let me do that if that were the case. Of course, you never know, but he's either working, at home with me, or tinkering on an engine he bought that needs some love.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Hmm, now I'm wondering if he's the one with something to hide. He's acting like a suspicious person toward you, but doesn't want you looking into his stuff? That's not usually a good sign.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao I think I love you. I just went to go fix something on his phone, because if you press a certain button when texting people it apparently blocks them...had to unblock someone and he had a hissy fit because I had to get in his texts to do it. Hypocritical much?

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Nah. We're women. We're born knowing how to annoy men. If that doesn't work, return the favor and study his phone every day like you're writing a thesis on its content.

Quoting Anonymous:

He'd probably see through that and figure out a way to play along that would annoy me even more. Hence me not bringing it up...lol

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I understand. It's up to you , but if I were in that situation, I would just make it annoying for him. Every time I got a text, I would read it out loud and turn it into a huge discussion with him. Just tell him what a text says and ask how you should respond. Make it a long and drawn out production to figure out what the person really means by what they said in the text, what your response would be, etc. Men usually hate that sort of thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't mind if he just glanced when my phone went off or something, since that's habit for practically everyone who owns a cell phone. I'd never make a big deal out of it, but I just feel like he doesn't trust me when he's constantly probing into what's on there, know what I mean?

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I don't care if DH looks at my phone, but the constant questions would get annoying, regardless of whether it's about my phone or not.

heydooney
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I kind of do that to him because his friends post funnier stuff on facebook than my friends do. I try not to.

mom2bell
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Nah I don't care. Rarely does he do that unless my phone is blowing up. I leave my phone out if he needs to know anything he can look. I have nothing to hide.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured