Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents That Allow Their Teens To Drink At Home...ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 153 Replies
5 moms liked this

This has got to be one of the most irresponsible things to do and the argument for it is pathetic.

If you allow your child to drink at home because you believe it is safer for them to do it at home where they can be supervised then god knows where, you are either extremely naive or have ZERO common sense.

It absolutely irks me that someone would think it is okay to give their child, or the childs friends a "safe" environment to drink.  I will not condone underage drinking with my teens, and if I find out another parent undermines me,and contributes to my child drinking, they will have hell to pay. And shame on you if you are one of those parents.

ETA**

I kind of went off on a rant here.  I had intended on posting specifically about giving you're teen's friends alcohol.  Many of my friends in high school had parents that allowed this, and would often throw parties for us, their kids still partied outside the home.  Their parents would usually say "at least here, we can supervise you"  If my mother found out that another parent was "supervising" my drinking, she would have burnt their house down. lol. This is what pisses me off more than anything.  If you or your parents let you teen have a glass of wine or a beer as a right of passage type thing, I did not mean to offend you.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised like that...what exactly do you think is so wrong? Is it the illegality or something else?

NicholeJirik
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
If its a birthday or christmas or a family thing, I would probably let my dd have a sip or two of my drink. But not tell shes 16.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM

That has something to do with it.  Also, just because you think they are allowed to drink at home where it is safe, doesn't mean they aren't still drinking outside the home.  My husband was also raised like that, and as an adult and a father he can see how irresponsible his parents were.  

There is a reason their is a drinking age. Teens already have a wreckless attitude and a sense of invincibility, adding alcohol, which lowers inhibitions and affects critical thinking is a scary combination.  As a parent condoning the underage consumption of alcohol is ridiculous.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I was raised like that...what exactly do you think is so wrong? Is it the illegality or something else?

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I would never allow one of the kids' friends to drink in my home. When it comes to my own kids? I am given the right under my state law to decide if I will allow them or not. But friends? No.

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Do what you want with your own kids but is ticks me off when people undermin the rules set out by other parents and allow other people's kids to drink at their house. 

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I too was raised like that and it is NOT illegal in all states to drink in your home with your parents present. I wouldn't serve other people's kids in my home, but I was raised in a very traditional old school Italian household and we often have wine with dinner. I have been drinking wine with dinner since I am 14, my kids have had some starting at 16.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

When some one says "drinking" I automatically think being drunk not having a sip or two. 

Quoting NicholeJirik:

If its a birthday or christmas or a family thing, I would probably let my dd have a sip or two of my drink. But not tell shes 16.

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
*shrug* Where I live it's legal. And I fail to see how that isn't a valid argument. They ARE safer at home, under supervision.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That is your right as a parent.  I disagree with condoning it at all.  Kids who are allowed to drink at home under supervision are more likely to drink outside the home as well...but if it doesn't interfere with the way I parent my child then oh well.

Quoting sheramom4:

I would never allow one of the kids' friends to drink in my home. When it comes to my own kids? I am given the right under my state law to decide if I will allow them or not. But friends? No.

ashleymosq
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
That is how I was raised. I didn't drink outside the home. Why would I when my parents would let and biy it for me? Not saying we are going to do that with our kids, but my parents did it for that reason and it worked out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)