Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Boss brings baby to work

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

I am angry and maybe.....resentful???

My boss, a VP in our company, often brings her 13 month old son to work when her childcare arrangements fall apart.This happens frequently; and I often wonder how shes not able to afford childcare.I think shes taking advantage of her position and feels entitled.There is a policy.

“He’ll just sit and play with his toys and sleep,” she says.What she really means is us little people will play with him, interact with him, change him, feed him, keep him from soiling his pricy duds, etc., while she runs around to meetings at 30 min intervals.  He’s a cherub, but so are our own kids.

Sometimes she brings one of her older children in, when they miss school, or get out of early.They are really distracting and they make a huge mess and she doesn’t clean up after them, i.e. burning popcorn in the microwave in plastic, and running around the hallways. Basically they run amok and she does NOTcontrol them.They are like props for our office,it ridiculous.
She’s not the only one to use our firm as a childcare center. Many of the male execs do this too, but never as often.It's "cute" for dads to seek emergency childcare.

This perk does not apply to ordinary folk like me. Its a terrible example she’s setting. If I brought my kid in day after day, I’d be filing unemployment in a hurry. My and other coworkers work is suffering because we are 'expected' to keep an eye on her kid. Having a 13-month old at work,even if its not my kid, is difficult. Chasing him and entertaining him while trying to answer emails, phone calls and appear to be a productive employee is exhausting.

What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't watch the kid. If she tried to make me, I would go above her head. If I want to take care of kids I will apply at a daycare. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to express your concern to someone higher up...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Give the kid some whiskey in a sippy cup.
Baby5678
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol brat

Quoting Anonymous:

Give the kid some whiskey in a sippy cup.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM
If I took mine to work, it wouldn't be any different than everyone else who let's their children run unsupervised through walmart

That is messed up though
Fairegirl33
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You need to express your concern to someone higher up...

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

If there is an HR writen policy there really isn't anything you can do other than try to rally for it to be company wide.  Also, simply make yourself too busy to be relied on to keep the little guy entertained when he is there.

Mena929
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting The_Doodle:

I wouldn't watch the kid. If she tried to make me, I would go above her head. If I want to take care of kids I will apply at a daycare. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Well my husband has occasionally taken a child to work but they don't leave his office without him.If it happens he takes the portable DVD and tons of DVD's and headphones plus an extra lap loaded with games and stuff.He is the president and works 60 hrs a week at the office and at least 5 to 10 more at home.

That is why the owner allows certain people to do that ,their work doesn't just happen between 8 and 5 so if they tend to their kid all work will be made up.I don't know your office but that is why it works that way at my husbands office.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Write a letter and put it on her desk. No signature. Just your thoughts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)