Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 yr old son, keeps sayn he wants to be a girl... Need thoughts, advice, info

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 36 Replies

I didn't want to post this in this group, out of fear of being bashed or getting nothing but negative feedback. I did post it in two other groups - but haven't got any responses.

So please, if you can't offer real advice, info, or thoughts - please move on to the next post. I will ignore all rude bashing replies.

I want to say a few things before I go into what's been going on.

My son turned 3, january 31st. ( so he's a little over 3 years old).

He is never left alone with anyone, it's either myself or his dad ( and we are married)

He doesn't attend day care or go to a babysitter.

He does have interaction with kids his age, of both genders - it's always supervised.

He is allowed to watch cartoons, but we always supervise that as well, so that we are certain he isn't seeing something thats not appropriate.

For the last few days, he has been telling myself and his dad that he wants to be a girl. When we ask why, he say's ' i just want to' or ' cause i want to be a lady'...

Now he does have a sense of humor, but when he is joking he follows the joke up with 'im just joking'... When he says he wants to be a girl, he follows it up with 'im not joking'...

When we tell him that he is perfect the way he is, and that he is a boy and can't be a girl, he gets very upset.

I don't care if he is gay, I'm his mom and I will always support and love him without conditions, so being gay isn't an issue.

I just don't know if this is normal for a kid his age? Is this something they go through?

Should i approach this? If so how? Or is this something that should be approached? I don't want to make an issue out of nothing, and I don't even want to make it an 'issue'....

Has your child ever done this? If so, what info, advice  , thoughts or tips can you offer?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM
my four year old said it too.... he cried when I told him he couldn't even. he painted his toenails and everything.... now he's seven and completely out grew it. i wouldn't be worried.
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe it sounds like a big deal because he said it once and you ran with it. You're responding with so much attention. Try letting it go for a while. 

kaylaybaby666
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Talk to your doctor.
kaiser10123
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I agree with the others. Just don't make a big deal about it and let him grow out of it. Focus on doing more boy activities, wrestling, trucks, playing in mud. This will pass hun good luck!
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this
He may grow out of it. He may be transgender.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Don't make a big deal out of it let it go for a while. When I was growing up my little brother wanted to do everything that we did. I don't even think he remembers that now.

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM

He's 3.   He doesn't know what he wants.  Sounds like a phase to me. Ignore it.

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It's a phase some kids go through. I went through it and one of my dd's went through it. He will eventually grow out of it just don't make a big deal out of it. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kaiser10123:

I agree with the others. Just don't make a big deal about it and let him grow out of it. Focus on doing more boy activities, wrestling, trucks, playing in mud. This will pass hun good luck!

That is terrible advice. Yes. Force your child to conform to gender stereotypes because you are uncomfortable with HIS choices. SMH.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I'm sure it's a phase. My now 5 year old has said it when I wouldn't let him play in my expensive heels. He was 4. It was a week and that's it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured