Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP!!! class paper over mental illnesses...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

Ok. I have to write a paper over any mental illness and how it effects society, family, life, ANYTHING.. My teacher gave me such a wide catagory that I cant think of what to talk about. This paper cant be a paper trying to open your eyes to the disease or anything like that and it isnt a speach.... ANYONE have any hints on which direction to go to. I am all over the place and this paper is to be handed in on Monday...

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You could do so much with this. If it were me I would write it on mental illness effecting the family. The way it can effect someone's ability to work enough so they can't support their families proplerly...the way having a mental illness can emotionally destroy families when it's not being addresses....such a broad topic to work with though. I loved papers like this in college! Have fun!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I have been tinkering with this dang subject for 3 days now. I have adhd so this subject isnt good for me... I have gone through about 11 pages of ideas.. and none seem like its what she wants. There is TOO much info in my mind right now.. I could go insane lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could do so much with this. If it were me I would write it on mental illness effecting the family. The way it can effect someone's ability to work enough so they can't support their families proplerly...the way having a mental illness can emotionally destroy families when it's not being addresses....such a broad topic to work with though. I loved papers like this in college! Have fun!

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM

depression

PTSD

Bipolar

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM

PTSD would be a good topic. I could see possible answers for each section with that topic. 

lauraschatz
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I would go with depression. Tons of statistics and info available. Lost wages and productivity, effects on relationships, ect. It is the most talked about these days amd easy to research.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I would write about the stigma attached to mental illness.  The stigma and embarassment that some feel about having mental illness may keep them from seeking professional help. Compare it to drug addiction.  Drug addiction doesn't have a negative stigma attached to it.  It is considered cureable compared to mental illness.  Also how people who suffer with mental illness are sometimes shunned by their family and are judged by them as well as others in society.  They are put under a microscope by social services if a case is opened for investigation by CPS. 

Yes, unfortunately.  I know all too well about how it feels to be shunned and judged and made fun of because of having mental illness which in my case is depression.  I wasn't born like this.  It was a "GIFT" courtesy of my parents from the time I was a very young child.  They were physically and emotionally abusive and that is why I continue to suffer today although I have come a long way but there are still some very tough times for me. 

Good luck.

MrS.ACosTa190
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Did you know that if a mother catches the flu while pregnant it can cause the baby to have schizophrenia? Something to think about......
anotherhalf
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM
If you know anyone who has a mentally ill family member you can write the paper from their point of view on how it affected them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM
My teacher talked about how we shouldn't use the word stigma for mental illness but instead prejudice or discrimination.
- you could talk how its harder for people with mental illness to get jobs
- how society sees it as a bad thing
- you could talk about the bio psychosocial model
anotherhalf
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM
How about when a mentally ill person has a complete break and becomes violent with family? If they call the police they risk their lived one being killed but if they don't they risk harm to themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)