Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Contemplating tubal ligation...need advice.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 37 Replies
Ok so I am sure that I personally do not want any more children. I have an almost 7 year old and I am working on making my career and personal goals happen to make a better life for my son and I. I am a single mother and I am ok with that. I suck at relationships and I am honestly terrified of commitment. I am a very observant person and most of what I see in relationships is bitter people engaged in pointless drama and every relationship I've ever been in was a total fail and waste of time. Maybe that would change if I met the right person, maybe not. Maybe it just isn't meant to be for me...I just don't see it in my future. Taking all that into consideration, I want to get a tubal ligation, but after talking to a few friends today, 2 women and 2 men, I am having doubts. What if I was to meet Mr. Wonderful years down the road and regret not being able to have his child? What if he leaves me because he resents me for having my own kid, but not be able to have his? I know worrying about some future person who may never come to fruition is kind of silly, but this is a big decision. Thoughts? Advice? What are your personal experiences? Help!!
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LexsMami
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Bump!
LexsMami
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Bump!
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I have my tubes tied.  I suffered terrible PPP after my 3rd and knew that I'd NEVER risk that again for myself or my children.

I had ZERO doubts in my mind.

You don't sound sure, so I'm going to say don't do it.

Look into a semi permanent BC instead.

littlesippycup
Dating Naked is hilarious!!
Today at 1:12 AM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

How about a more long term birth control like an IUD or the Implanon?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
How old are you? I'm sorry this is a hard decision to make, but I get why you feel the way you do. (((Hugs)))
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
How old are you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I would not get one so young and with only one child

Mom2DomNicLily
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I had one done 5 almost 6 years ago and regret it every day. Not because of the fact I can't have kids anymore but because of all the health issues that go along with it that no one tells you about. Research post tubal ligation syndrome before you make your final decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Freela
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you were 100% sure that there was not a circumstance where you would have another child. There are lots of other birth control methods that are reversible.

I had my tubes tied, no regrets... but I did have three kids already, a spouse who absolutely did NOT want more kids, reproductive problems severe enough that I needed surgery on my reproductive tract anyhow, and was in my mid-thirties (edging into 'advanced maternal age' area), and a history of birth control-induced migraines and high risk pregnancies. There were a lot of reasons why it made sense for me. And even so, I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't needed surgery to remove one ovary and tube anyhow.

EAzizM
by Erica on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
If you are questioning it, you shouldn't do it. You say you are afraid of commitment but you are worried about maybe finding Mr. Right? That means you are waiting for something better...don't make a rash decision based on todays frustrations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)