Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Attached upper lip frenulum....surgery? update with pics in reply

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 59 Replies

So I found out both of my kids have an attached upper lip frenulum. I found it by chance on dstrying to see if his upper tooth had came through yet. He is 10 months. Neither of my kids would properly latch so I could never breastfeed which upset me greatly. So after finding out about ds I thought to check my dd who is 6. She has the same thing. :/ Now so many things make sense, the breastfeeding, dd's speech delay, the fact neither could hold a pacifier in their mouth. So, now I'm contemplating surgery for dsso he doesn't have the speech issues dd did. Does anyone have a child with this? What did you do? Would you recommend surgery and did it help? Would it be too late to do anything for my dd? Ds has another appt coming up so I was going to talk to his pediatrician but dd just had her check up. Is this something I should see a dr or dentist about?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megara
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM
My DD has the same thing, but not so bad. She had a hard time latching but eventually got it. Her pediatrician said to wait and see if she has a speech impediment or other issues and she doesn't, so we are leaving it alone. I would talk to the pediatrician, and since they already have speech issues, they may need surgery. But, I think it is very minor surgery.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
many have this issue, actually. it's generally a simple procedure.
Luna091306
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yeah, I read it's a very simple surgery. I'm just kicking myself that I never noticed it before! The poor girl has been through speech therapy and everything but still has an impediment. I had no idea it could be anything to do with her lip. I'll talk to her pediatrician when I go in for my ds' next appointment about both of them. I don't want ds to go through the same thing.

Quoting Megara:

My DD has the same thing, but not so bad. She had a hard time latching but eventually got it. Her pediatrician said to wait and see if she has a speech impediment or other issues and she doesn't, so we are leaving it alone. I would talk to the pediatrician, and since they already have speech issues, they may need surgery. But, I think it is very minor surgery.

Luna091306
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM

This is what I am talking about for those that don't know. One of her teeth is very loose so it looks funny right now. I can't wait until that thing falls out! lol

It's hard to tell by the pic but it almost connects in between her teeth. My ds is the same way, if not worse. You can barely pull his lip up. I would take a pic but he won't let me. lol

Luna091306
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Well that's comforting. I'm just not sure I want to put them through it if it won't really do any good so just thought I'd get opinions.

Quoting Anonymous:

many have this issue, actually. it's generally a simple procedure.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

The girl I used to watch had surgery for that at 2.  It wasn't a big deal surgery wise.

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM

So, I don't have experience with this with my own child, but, I worked in dental for 12 years, and have done this procedure multiple times. It is a very simple procedure. The area of the mouth will be numbed with local anesthetic. It is generally one small cut that is needed to separate the frenulum. Possibily a small suture will be placed in the area, it would be a dissolvable suture if used. Otherwise they can cauterize the area to stop the bleeding. The mouth heals so quickly, so, it truly is a minor procedure. I know it is stressful when your child needs something done, but, I really want to reassure you it is minor. I know you can see a dentist, they may refer you to a pediatric dentist, or an oral surgeon. Or, go to your Pediatrician, and they will refer you to the right place. Good luck. I hope I have helped.

hayvensmommy07
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM
My son has the opposite, tongue tie.....he has a snake tongue when he sticks his tongue out.......I've always heard both were very minor and not a big deal...good luck:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spastic_poodle
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Both of my children have that. My second more-so. I've brought it up a few times but no one has ever thought it worth surgery. My youngest's teeth are coming in super croocked because of it :/

I hear it's a fairly painless fix though, with quick recovery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM

That did help a lot! Thank you. :)

Quoting crysiann:

So, I don't have experience with this with my own child, but, I worked in dental for 12 years, and have done this procedure multiple times. It is a very simple procedure. The area of the mouth will be numbed with local anesthetic. It is generally one small cut that is needed to separate the frenulum. Possibily a small suture will be placed in the area, it would be a dissolvable suture if used. Otherwise they can cauterize the area to stop the bleeding. The mouth heals so quickly, so, it truly is a minor procedure. I know it is stressful when your child needs something done, but, I really want to reassure you it is minor. I know you can see a dentist, they may refer you to a pediatric dentist, or an oral surgeon. Or, go to your Pediatrician, and they will refer you to the right place. Good luck. I hope I have helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)