Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Attached upper lip frenulum....surgery? update with pics in reply

Posted by   + Show Post

So I found out both of my kids have an attached upper lip frenulum. I found it by chance on dstrying to see if his upper tooth had came through yet. He is 10 months. Neither of my kids would properly latch so I could never breastfeed which upset me greatly. So after finding out about ds I thought to check my dd who is 6. She has the same thing. :/ Now so many things make sense, the breastfeeding, dd's speech delay, the fact neither could hold a pacifier in their mouth. So, now I'm contemplating surgery for dsso he doesn't have the speech issues dd did. Does anyone have a child with this? What did you do? Would you recommend surgery and did it help? Would it be too late to do anything for my dd? Ds has another appt coming up so I was going to talk to his pediatrician but dd just had her check up. Is this something I should see a dr or dentist about?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Replies (51-59):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM

If they ever need braces chances are the orthodontist will do he surgery before the braces are put on. The frenulum pulls on the gums and can cause a space between the teeth.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM
She turned 1 in March.

Quoting lauraschatz:

how old is she now?

Quoting Devious333:

Same thing happened to dh! Even my MIL told me I had to wait with dd. I said hell no, I'm not waiting, look what happened to your son. He was 12 or 13 when they did the surgery and then he had braces because of the gap he had. As soon as dd is a little older I will push to get it done.

Quoting lauraschatz:

I had it! My teeth came in SO funky! I could fit an entire finger in the space between my two front teeth. I had the "surgery" right before I got my braces @ 12yrs7yrs old. I don't remember it being at ALL painful. I just remember it felt funny for a few days.

I had to wear braces for 6yrs! THAT was painful and horrible!

GET IT DONE NOW!!!! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I don't know much about this but maybe you do. Wouldn't it make sense to do the surgery before they lose their baby teeth so they won't have that gap?

Quoting Anonymous:

If they ever need braces chances are the orthodontist will do he surgery before the braces are put on. The frenulum pulls on the gums and can cause a space between the teeth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I think a lot of the time people don't know that the frenulum is there until their kids go in for braces.  My best advice is to talk to the dentist next time they go in and ask his/her opinion.

Quoting Devious333:

I don't know much about this but maybe you do. Wouldn't it make sense to do the surgery before they lose their baby teeth so they won't have that gap?

Quoting Anonymous:

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Me too

Quoting Anonymous:

Holy shit. I have that line and I have a slight slur.

I didn't know it wasn't normal

Quoting Anonymous:

I would've pushed for it in infancy to ensure successful nursing, but that's because I knew about it prior to having children (I'm not knocking you, you didn't know!). I would do it now to help any potential speech issues.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:30 AM
I would take her to see a dentist as soon as she gets all of her teeth in. Maybe even before and see what they recommend. You will save her ALOT of pain, not to mention the money you can save on braces!
Good luck Mama! :)

Quoting Devious333:

She turned 1 in March.

Quoting lauraschatz:

how old is she now?

Quoting Devious333:

Same thing happened to dh! Even my MIL told me I had to wait with dd. I said hell no, I'm not waiting, look what happened to your son. He was 12 or 13 when they did the surgery and then he had braces because of the gap he had. As soon as dd is a little older I will push to get it done.

Quoting lauraschatz:

I had it! My teeth came in SO funky! I could fit an entire finger in the space between my two front teeth. I had the "surgery" right before I got my braces @ 12yrs7yrs old. I don't remember it being at ALL painful. I just remember it felt funny for a few days.

twin_mama_x_2
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM
My daughter has this-no issues at all so far & the dr never really said anything about it.
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Okay :) thank you!

Quoting lauraschatz:

I would take her to see a dentist as soon as she gets all of her teeth in. Maybe even before and see what they recommend. You will save her ALOT of pain, not to mention the money you can save on braces!

Good luck Mama! :)

Quoting Devious333:

She turned 1 in March.

Quoting lauraschatz:

how old is she now?

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting lauraschatz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

so i just looked at my dd's mouth (i didn't last night because she was in bed) and she doesn't have a gap between her front teeth. i know she's going to need braces though (her dad and i both had them).

Quoting Devious333:

Ah. I want to get dd's done so that she won't have the gap later. Dh had this problem as a kid and they waited until he was like 12 or 13 to remove it. He had to have braces because it gave him a gap.

Quoting Anonymous:

she does, i believe. it's been awhile since i've looked at it. if i remember correctly, it attatches just above the gap at the end of her guma. i spoke with her dentist about it, and he said if it doesn't bother her, then he doesn't see a reason to fix it.

Quoting Devious333:

Does she have a gap between her teeth? Dd does so I hope to have it fixed before she loses her baby teeth.

Quoting Anonymous:

my dd has the same thing. she is only 2, and she doesn't have a speech delay. i did have trouble getting her to latch on, but i personally think it's because the nurses gave her a bottle as soon as she was born. if you think it's causing an issue with them i would definitely consider talking to their pediatrician. i would never consider surgery for that for my dd, though..only because it doesn't seem to bother her, and it's part of who she is. however, if she was bothered by it when she got older and wanted it fixed, i would consider it for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)